logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

BramEPC
#1 Posted : Thursday, August 2, 2012 12:07:12 AM(UTC)
BramEPC

Groups: Registered

Hi,

I just did some diffing between my data and my backup and noticed to my great surprise / horror that some apparently random files are NOT present in the backup.

Trying to figure out what makes these files special, the only thing these files have in common leads to another mysteryConfused :

D:\Programs\Programming\VisualStudio\VisualStudio_2010_Express>attrib
I D:\Programs\Programming\VisualStudio\VisualStudio_2010_Express\bpe.txt
I D:\Programs\Programming\VisualStudio\VisualStudio_2010_Express\VS2010Express1.iso

D:\Programs\Viewer\Comics\MMCE>attrib
I D:\Programs\Viewer\Comics\MMCE\MMCE_Win32_Eng2.4.zip

<etc>

What is the "I" (EDIT:note that this is a capital i, bad font )flag (it seems you can set/clear it with attrib like the other flags)?
Could it be interfering with the Cobian backup process ?
Is it maybe set by Cobian itself for some reason ?

The only possible reference to a file attribute which starts with an "I" that I have found is on http://msdn.microsoft.co...58117%28v=vs.85%29.aspx, being FILE_ATTRIBUTE_INTEGRITY_STREAM, but that seems to be only supported on ReFS (I am on W7 / NTFS ).

Any insight would be appreciated ...

EDIT2: mmm just copying a directory with a bunch of files already sets the I flag on all those files in the copy, so apparently the I flag is not so special after all (except for it being undocumented)

Edited by user Thursday, August 2, 2012 12:28:09 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Sponsor
BramEPC
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 2, 2012 9:21:02 AM(UTC)
BramEPC

Groups: Registered

Received a bit more info, seems the I attribute is not the cause:

The "I" attribute is a bit more confusing - especially when the "N" attribute started showing via Windows Explorer in Vista and later. There are many places on the internet that says the the "N" attribute means that the file is not indexed... but Microsoft seems to say that "N" stands for Normal. A file can only be Normal when all other attributes have been cleared.

The "I" attribute does not mean that the file's content needs to be indexed or that the file's content has been indexed - the "I" attribute means that the file's contents is not allowed to be indexed. (The file's content has been excluded from the indexing process.)