logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

mbrakensiek
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 26, 2013 2:33:53 PM(UTC)
mbrakensiek

Groups: Registered
United States

Hello,

My company just installed Cobian Backup 11. We were previously using Boletus to backup our files. We imported our Task List from the previous version since we noticed the settings seemed unchanged when imported. We ran the backups for the first time last night and this morning found that Cobian 11 was doing full backups of all of our files even though we have the tasks set to Incremental. The original backed up files from Boletus are still in place. I assumed that Cobian 11 would recognize those files and just incrementally back up from there, but it apparently does not.

Is there a way to force Cobian 11 to simply do an incremental backup using the already existing files instead of making its own full backups first?

I ask because it is estimating 4.7TB of files to backup and it barely made any progress over night. Time constraints and space are both issues here.

Thanks for any help.

Edited by user Friday, September 27, 2013 4:27:42 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Changing to solved.

Sponsor
jolynsbass
#2 Posted : Friday, September 27, 2013 3:42:31 AM(UTC)
jolynsbass

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Are you files stored on Network addressed storage? If so, the cobian software use of the "archive" flag to determine incremental backups prevents it from doing what you'd expect (And want) in an incremental backup. It'll always do a full backup. I'm using the free version of BackUp Maker, but it's only free for personal use, not business use. It does however, do correct incremental backups with networked storage. I deal with the very occasional pop-up (like it appears once a week) asking me to consider the "full-version" (paid, which does *not* have the popups, so your business wouldn't see them.)

Anyhow, I requested that Cobian software developer consider using an alternate technique to track incremental changes, but have had no replies on my thread from a few weeks back...

I'll have to check out this "Boletus" you mention. I would prefer to use Cobian, as I consider it superior in every way, except this one VERY IMPORTANT aspect...

OK, so apparently I don't know what I'm talking about. Boletus is just v. 10 of Cobian! No idea why it would be working before, but not after the upgrade. You must not be dealing with NAS files... Sorry for the worthless reply! I still use BackUp Maker, and for $35 license, you can use it without restrictions on up to 3 machines (personal and/or commercial).

Edited by user Friday, September 27, 2013 4:55:05 AM(UTC)  | Reason: I'm an idiot.

1 user thanked jolynsbass for this useful post.
mbrakensiek on 9/27/2013(UTC)
mbrakensiek
#3 Posted : Friday, September 27, 2013 4:01:09 PM(UTC)
mbrakensiek

United States

I was able to find the quick answer to this last night. The setting that was forcing a full backup was under TOOLS>OPTIONS>ENGINE, By default, the very last option which is "First backup always full" was checked. This apparently takes into effect each and every time you edit the parameters of a task. So, when you change a setting on a task and then click OK to get back to the task list, it will consider the next backup to be the first backup with those settings and make sure to take a full backup.

Since I was updating to the latest version of the software, every task in the list was a "new" task and therefore took a full backup despite the incremental setting. This made the difference of about 28 hours runtime for the entire task list. It only took about 4 hours last night which seems about right.