logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

DonPriebe
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 13, 2011 9:13:09 PM(UTC)
DonPriebe

Groups: Registered

Cobian 10.1.1.816 under Windows XP Pro SR3

The first backup of the day returns the error ...

ERR 2011-10-13 10:12 Error while creating the Volume Shadow Copy snapshot: The provider returned an unexpected error code.

Subsequent backups that day (on other volumns) then return the error ...

ERR 2011-10-13 10:30 Error while creating the Volume Shadow Copy snapshot: The creation of a shadow copy is already in progress.
ERR 2011-10-13 15:30 Error while creating the Volume Shadow Copy snapshot: The creation of a shadow copy is already in progress.
Sponsor
Xavi
#2 Posted : Friday, October 14, 2011 12:03:08 AM(UTC)
Xavi

Groups: Moderators
Man
Spain

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 18 post(s)
This error happens also when running manually as application?
If it happends try to uninstall CB, run system check and finally reinstall CB.
Also be sure you have enough space on your c: drive where VSS create temporary files.
DonPriebe
#3 Posted : Monday, October 17, 2011 4:31:35 PM(UTC)
DonPriebe

Problem solved. BigGrin

The first backup of the day was for T:, which is a virtual disk created by TrueCrypt. The pre- and post- routines mounted and dismounted it OK, but Cobian (or MS?) can't shadow copy a virtual disk. That apparently left the shadow copy routine running for the rest of the day, so it couldn't be started again. Solution: uncheck the VSS option for the T: backup.
cobian
#4 Posted : Wednesday, October 19, 2011 10:11:32 PM(UTC)
cobian

Groups: Administrators
Man
Sweden

Was thanked: 104 time(s) in 82 post(s)
TrueCrypt backups don'r support VSC.
arindamc
#5 Posted : Thursday, September 13, 2012 3:32:52 PM(UTC)
arindamc

Originally Posted by: DonPriebe Go to Quoted Post
Cobian 10.1.1.816 under Windows XP Pro SR3

The first backup of the day returns the error ...

ERR 2011-10-13 10:12 Error while creating the Volume Shadow Copy snapshot: The provider returned an unexpected error code.

Subsequent backups that day (on other volumns) then return the error ...

ERR 2011-10-13 10:30 Error while creating the Volume Shadow Copy snapshot: The creation of a shadow copy is already in progress.
ERR 2011-10-13 15:30 Error while creating the Volume Shadow Copy snapshot: The creation of a shadow copy is already in progress.

I have been getting this error:

"Error while creating the Volume Shadow Copy snapshot: The creation of a shadow copy is already in progress."

I forgot to check the first error as I was not present near my PC at that time. :P

I am running Cobian 10 portably (I don't think there is an official portable version available for cobian 10, at least there was not one the last time I checked; the officially available portable cobian was cobian 9 or something, which worked fine on Win XP but does not work on Win 7; I don't remember how I made cobian 10 portable: either I extracted its contents onto a folder using 7-zip, or installed it as an app, copied the install folder onto a safe location, then did a completely uninstall with Revo.

I am aware of Cobian 11 but I go by the old saying 'why fix something that ain't broken?' (Plus I heard that some of the settings have changed in Cobian 11). I mean, this error is a new one for me since the past several months I have been running it. Any help would be appreciated. Other than this it is working great.