Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Cobian and Vista - Folder name changes after backup - yyyy-mm-dd is lost Options · View
Troas
Posted: Monday, January 7, 2008 11:09:02 PM
Groups: Member

Hi,

I have a problem running Cobian under a German-language version of Vista. I would like to back up the files in C:\Users to an external hard drive. When I start the backup, Cobian Backup creates a folder named Users-2008-01-07 and copies the files. However, after the files are copied the folder name changes to "Benutzer" (German for Users; "Benutzer" is also the name of the original folder in the Explorer) and the time information is lost. Is there a way I can stop this from happening and keep the original name or make sure that the time information is kept? (I tried adding C:\Benutzer to the task but this didn't work...) Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-Jan
Sponsor
Posted: Monday, January 7, 2008 11:09:02 PM
Troas
Posted: Monday, January 7, 2008 11:27:08 PM

OK, here's an update on the problem: I just happened to use FreeCommander to look at the backup - and there the folder is still called Users-2008-01-07. I also found out that when I choose to also display "File name(?)" ("Dateiname" in German, as opposed to "Name" which is normally only displayed) in the Explorer, it also says Users-2008-01-07. Does anyone happen to know whether there's a way to stop the Explorer from displaying the "name" and stick to the "File name"?

-Jan
Glenn
Posted: Monday, January 7, 2008 11:59:35 PM

Groups: Moderators

You may be experiencing the same issue I live with on XP...

When Cobian makes a full backup of a Windows system folder as source (in my case, Favorites and Start Menu), Windows Explorer does not display the destination folder with the appended date stamp... the date stamp is missing. But, if you select the destination folder, they correct folder name with appended date stamp is displayed in Windows Explorer's address field... so it's there! And more... this issue only affects full backups, not diff or incr backups... and, Cobian logs an error when it goes to delete these malnamed destination folders, saying they don't exist, BUT then proceeds to delete them correctly anyway.

So, it all still works well enough and I just ignore the few full backup destination folders that do not display their date stamped name as expected.

Glenn
Troas
Posted: Tuesday, January 8, 2008 11:28:44 AM

Glenn, thanks for this additional information!

There's something else I learned yesterday which might be of interest in this context: Under Vista, you can click on the little folder symbol on the left of the Explorer address field. When you do this, the Explorer displays the "true" path. To change back to the earlier display, you have to press Tab.

-Jan
cobian
Posted: Tuesday, January 8, 2008 1:49:20 PM

Groups: Administration

Let me add that this is an issue with Explorer and the way it handle some directories. The program creates the directories with the right name.
Glenn
Posted: Tuesday, January 8, 2008 2:54:44 PM

>>Under Vista, you can click on the little folder symbol on the left of the Explorer address field. When you do this, the Explorer displays the "true" path. To change back to the earlier display, you have to press Tab.

Thanks! This feature does not seem to be in XP.

>>cobian: Let me add that this is an issue with Explorer and the way it handle some directories. The program creates the directories with the right name.

Thanks, Luis! It does seem odd though that this behavior varys between full and partial backups.

Glenn
cobian
Posted: Tuesday, January 8, 2008 3:00:45 PM

Groups: Administration

Hello Glenn

I will try to do some testings on Vista next week to be sure, but I really don't see how this could be different.

If you look at the created files in cmd.exe do you see the right name or the "new one"?
Glenn
Posted: Tuesday, January 8, 2008 5:06:38 PM

>>If you look at the created files in cmd.exe do you see the right name or the "new one"?

Using XP here, the true destination foldername with datestamp appended by Cobian is displayed as expected in the command prompt/cmd.exe window. It is just in Windows Explorer that certain copied system folders containing full backups refuse to display correctly:

Address D:\Backup\Glenn\Cobian\Start Menu 2008-01-03 14;02;16
Folders
..Cobian
....Start Menu (a full backup... selected to display true foldername in address above)
....Start Menu 2008-01-06 23;01;52 (an incr backup)
....Start Menu 2008-01-07 23;01;45 (an incr backup)

Glenn
BlakesHeaven
Posted: Sunday, March 14, 2010 4:59:11 PM

Hi, Just wondering if there is a resolution to this or workaround. I'm experiencing the same with my "Favorites" folder in windows XP Pro SP3, i.e. instead of "Favorites 2009-03-14 Sat (Full)" the folder is just "Favorites".
I currently have Cobian Backup 10.0.0.475 installed having just upgraded from v9.
I too can confirm that the folder is named correctly in a DOS prompt window.
Thanks,
David.