Volume Shadow

Questions about Cobian Backup 11 (Gravity)
PFX

Volume Shadow

Post by PFX »

Hi
I installed COBIAN GRAVITY on my new PC (WINDOWS 11)
When I install COBIAN GRAVITY, I get an error message (error 1053)
In the service panel of windows, the service ”volume shadow copy” is listed
Type of starting : automatic
But I can’t start it even manually. I get the message :

“Windows was unable to start the Cobian Backup 11 Service "Volume Shadow Copy" service on Local Computer. Error 1053: The service did not respond quickly enough to the launch or control request.”

After red some topics on the web, I try to instal NET Framework 3.5. but it was already installed
Thanks for your help
Paul
cobian
Site Admin

Re: Volume Shadow

Post by cobian »

You should find the exact errors in the EventViewer.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
nzmike

Post by nzmike »

This is not a helpful answer - i have started the Volume Shadow Copy service and set it to Auto but when I install CB11 it still gives me the message about not being able to contact the VSS service. The event viewer messages do not add any more info at all:

"The Cobian Backup 11 Volume Shadow Copy Requester service failed to start due to the following error:
The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion."

Then the installer says to look at the install log but my install shows only one line (the welcome message) and nothing else.

When so many people have this issue is it possible you could give us some advice on what causes this and what we can do to fix it?
I want to be able to backup my SQL Server DBs and Outlook mailbox with CB11 but without VSS this doesn't work.

When installing CB11 will running it under local system account (which I do, as I don't need to access network resources except my NAS drive) stop the VSS from working or is it some other issue? You must have some idea but I've not seen any explanation or ways to resolve it suggested on this forum.

Totally appreciate the hard work you put into this and that it's free (I've been a user since v8 IIRC) but I'm just asking for some proper support on this issue, like maybe a sticky note or an entry in a FAQ or something we can consult to solve this issue.
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

There are 2 different errors in the EventViewer: The one you are describing is in the Cobian Backup VSC requester log. But do you find some other error in the Application Windows log?
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
PFX

Post by PFX »

hi

When i try to start the service from the service panel , the only tow message are :
The timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for the Cobian Backup 11 Service "Volume Shadow Copy" service to connect.

The Cobian Backup 11 Service "Volume Shadow Copy" service could not start due to the error: The service did not respond quickly enough to the launch or control request.

thanks for your help
PFX

Post by PFX »

hi

I changed 2 parameters and now i can launche the Service "Volume Shadow Copy"
cobian 1.png
cobian 1.png (46.25 KiB) Viewed 15032 times
rccenteno

Post by rccenteno »

HI Folks,
I have the same problem.
VSC works in Reflector on the same PC. I needed to install CBackup (to split backups). I can't start VSC.

[]´s
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

.NET3.5 must be installed in order for VSC to work on Gravity.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
rccenteno

Post by rccenteno »

That´s it.

DONE.

Thanks Man for your GREAT JOB.

[]´s
sulko

Post by sulko »

In windows 11 I get the error "Error while creating the Volume Shadow Copy snapshot: The provider returned an unexpected error code." ..NET3.5 is marked as installed. Cobian Reflector creates a VSS without issue. It's about 7zip compression so I want to use Cobian Backup 11 until Cobian Reflektor support comes in. Maybe someone has an idea?