Network backup/logon

Questions about Cobian Backup 11 (Gravity)
faustin

Network backup/logon

Post by faustin »

Hi,

So I've been using Cobian Backup 11 for a long time now, really a great piece of software.

I have an issue with network backup. I have a local network with several computers, one of them acting as a file server. So, I need to back up a particular folder stored on a computer running Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 to a computer running Windows 7 Ultimate x64.
Admin accounts on both machines, password-protected sharing is on.
From the server, if I first enter the username and password to access the Windows 7 PC, I can browse through the destination folder, permissions and everything are ok. Then if I run the backup, it's successful.
However, if I run it without entering credentials first, I get the path not found error, which is normal - Cobian can't access the destination.

But how to make it work? I can't seem to get it right using impersonation in the Advanced tab, nor have I found anything relevant on the forum. Cobian is running as an application, not as a service.

Many thanks in advance.
cobian
Site Admin

Re: Network backup/logon

Post by cobian »

Are you getting some error with impersonation? That should work. Another way should be to run a login script as a pre-backup event.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
faustin

Post by faustin »

Tried different combinations with the username/domain fields, what I get is for example:

Code: Select all

2022-07-21 21:27 Impersonating the user "PC5-PC\Administrator" to run the task "test1"...
ERR 2022-07-21 21:27 The user "PC5-PC\Administrator" couldn't logon: Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.

For the backup, both server and client computer will use account "Administrator", which has different passwords on the two computers. What's the proper way to log on through impersonation?
Last edited by faustin on 21 Jul 2022, 20:46, edited 1 time in total.
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

It can get a bit tricky when the two computers are not members of the same doman, but usually you need to enter the name f the second machine as the ‘domain name’.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
faustin

Post by faustin »

Yeah, that's one of the first things I tried

But still get the wrong username/password error, even though they're correct. It's interesting that I always get this same exact error and not anything else.
If I type a wrong password on purpose, it's still the same error - which means in both cases, the computer for some reason thinks there's something wrong.

But for example in cmd, if I do

it logs on and assigns the test share as Z: drive, respectively. So, the connecting itself seems to work right :?
Last edited by faustin on 23 Jul 2022, 14:31, edited 2 times in total.
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

I will take a look at this.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
faustin

Post by faustin »

Thanks, looking forward!
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

I see, this is about gravity... Unfortunately I cannot make any changes on the old program :(
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
faustin

Post by faustin »

Ah, too bad :( but thanks anyway.

So it's something on Cobian's side which prevents it from logging on? In that case I guess I'll go with a pre-backup event, or perhaps saving credentials for the client computer...
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

I think a NET USE command could help?
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator