Clear explanation of difference between incremental and differential in this case

Questions about Cobian Backup 11 (Gravity)
Leonardo

Clear explanation of difference between incremental and differential in this case

Post by Leonardo »

So I've been using Cobian for several yeas and I need to understand this once and for all.

I always create tasks running a full backup at first.

Then I change it to incremental to update the modified files only.

I know theoretically the differences between differential and incremental backups, but in practice, it doesn't seem to make any difference.

I created a task as an example with a text file "abc", created a full backup task, then changed the file writing some random text in it, changed backup plan to differential. Then did the same thing but with "incremental" checked.

If I check "create separated backups using timestamps", it will create a new file with all the changes everytime I run the task, whether with incremental or differential option selected.

If I uncheck "create separated backups using timestamps", the task will only update the backed up file on the destiny folder, whether I choose incremental or differential.

So whats the real porpose of choosing one backup option instead of the other if they do the same thing except if I uncheck " "create separated backups using timestamps"?
Attachments
destiny file
destiny file
cobian1.jpg (70.66 KiB) Viewed 20285 times
source file
source file
cobian (3).png (43.07 KiB) Viewed 20285 times
both differential and incremental files opened
both differential and incremental files opened
Captura de Tela (817).png (31.35 KiB) Viewed 20285 times
cobian
Site Admin

Re: Clear explanation of difference between incremental and differential in this case

Post by cobian »

1) You don't need to change from backup to incremental/differential. Incremental or differential backups will always make the first backup FULL for you automatically.

As indicated in the help file, the only difference between incremental and differential is one word:

Incremental - The program will check if the source has been changed from the last backup. If there is no need to copy the file, it will be skipped, saving backup time. The incremental procedure checks the Archive bit attribute of the file. You may want to manually reset the attribute to force a full backup: use the "Set the archive attributes" on the Task menu.

Differential: The program will check if the source has been changed from the last FULL backup. If there is no need to copy the file, it will be skipped, saving backup time. The differential procedure checks the Archive bit attribute of the file. You may want to manually reset the attribute to force a full backup: use the "Set the archive attributes" on the Task menu.

So the one will just copy the changed files. The other (diff) will copy all changed files SINCE THE LAST BACKUP.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
phyllisray

Re: Clear explanation of difference between incremental and differential in this case

Post by phyllisray »

I'm also facing the same situation as you but don't know how to solve it. I don't know if you have found a method yet geometry dash lite
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

You don't need to change from backup to incremental/differential. Incremental or differential backups will always make the first backup FULL for you automatically. This will only create a lot of problems.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator