Can´t backup on NAS

Questions about Cobian Backup 11 (Gravity)
1Zivi

Can´t backup on NAS

Post by 1Zivi »

Hi there,

I'm trying to back up files on a NAS.
In Windows Explorer I can access it without problems and also create new folders. However, if I enter the path to the NAS in Cobian, Cobian cannot create a folder. I then get the following error message in the logfile:
Couldn't create the destination directory "\\192.168.1.23\Public\": The syntax for the file name, directory name or volume label is incorrect.

It doesn't matter whether I enter the IP address, the network name of the NAS or the network drive.

I do the same backup on another PC and it works without any problems there.

I've been looking for hours but can't solve the problem. It's probably just a stupid configuration setting.

Hopefully you have an idea that can help me.

Many thanks in advance!
cobian
Site Admin

Re: Can´t backup on NAS

Post by cobian »

I would begin by changing the installation mode from Service to Application to see if the problem is solved.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
Lysergic

Post by Lysergic »

Hello everyone!
Just stumbled with this same problem here and this is how I could solve it.
We have a Windows domain controller and the NAS is connected to it, so I created one backup user, set it to administrator group and set the permissions to that user in the NAS share.
After that go to Cobian, edit the task and navigate to advanced tab, enable impersonation and put the backup user credentials.
Screenshot below :)
Attachments
Screenshot at Sep 10 11-33-39.png
Screenshot at Sep 10 11-33-39.png (35.74 KiB) Viewed 9742 times
BassmasterP

Post by BassmasterP »

Same problem here. Been using Cobain for years and finally trying to backup to NAS - no dice. I have same username/pw combination in Windows and on the NAS. Cobain services run under this same user and I even set up impersonation under Advanced option. I can map the drive, browse to the drive, create directories...anything, just not within Cobian. Why is this so hard? Or better yet, why is there no meaningful error returned? My user is full admin on the NAS!

Thanks.
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

If you change the installation from Service to Application I guarantee you that it will be accessible.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
BassmasterP

Post by BassmasterP »

Thanks, that worked, but it turns out that I can't use that method due to some HITRUST certification issues. I did, however, get the service method to work on a very similar server so it must be an issue I can resolve on this one problem server. I'll keep playing with it.

Thanks again for the reply.
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

:OK
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator