FTP backup - zero byte file created on server for 1kb ascii file

Questions about Cobian Backup 11 (Gravity)
DKCrotty

FTP backup - zero byte file created on server for 1kb ascii file

Post by DKCrotty »

I am currently getting the following:

2021-02-15 13:38 The remote directory has been changed to "/Cobian/OneDrive/OneDrive 2021-02-15 13;28;55 (Incremental)/ScWand/UserScreensBkup/Yoddler"
2021-02-15 13:38 Error uploading the file "GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy19\Users\dkcro\OneDrive\ScWand\UserScreensBkup\Yoddler\Screen.99907": No data to read.
2021-02-15 13:38 Retrying the transfer of "GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy19\Users\dkcro\OneDrive\ScWand\UserScreensBkup\Yoddler\Screen.99907"...
ERR 2021-02-15 13:38 Error uploading the file "GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy19\Users\dkcro\OneDrive\ScWand\UserScreensBkup\Yoddler\Screen.99907": No data to read.
2021-02-15 13:38 Error uploading the file "GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy19\Users\dkcro\OneDrive\ScWand\UserScreensBkup\Yoddler\Screen.99908": No data to read.
2021-02-15 13:38 Retrying the transfer of "GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy19\Users\dkcro\OneDrive\ScWand\UserScreensBkup\Yoddler\Screen.99908"...

I checked the source directory. They are 1kb files with about 500 ASCII text chars in it. The file is created on the server, but its a 0 file size, which makes sense since it thinks its a zero byte file.

To top it off, since it errored, it tried several times to do it again. So if its actually a zero byte file, it should probably be a warning instead of an error.
DKCrotty

Re: FTP backup - zero byte file created on server for 1kb ascii file

Post by DKCrotty »

humm a little more data.

I am looking at some of the other directories and files. There are quite a few Zero byte files being created on the server.

Now, I am wondering if this is because I am trying to back up data from the cloud ( OneDrive ) . Maybe the data is not coming down from the cloud quickly enough to be properly copied to the shadow copy, so its making a zero byte file.

So the 1kb file is no longer the issue. It was just the first symptom.

Ill try to do some debugging
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

Yes, I've seen this before when the source of the program is in the cloud. The "OneDrive" directory contains only "phantom" files. They appear to have the real size but those contain no data unless the directory is fully synchronized. Try tu uncheck "Save space and download files as you use them" in the OneDrive application and give it some time to synchronize,
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
Claraa12

Post by Claraa12 »

When using FTP backup to transfer an ASCII file, it's possible to encounter an issue where a zero-byte file is created on the server even though the original file was 1kb in size. This can happen if the FTP server is configured to use binary mode instead of ASCII mode for file transfer. To avoid this issue, it's recommended to use ASCII mode for transferring ASCII files.Free Fire
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

But I think almost any modern FTP server should be able to transfers even ASCII files as binary transfers well.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
Liya12

Post by Liya12 »

"Having trouble with FTP backup? If you're experiencing zero byte files on the server for small ASCII files, check your transfer mode settings. Make sure you're using 'binary' mode for all file types to ensure proper data transfer. 📁🔄"
Last edited by Liya12 on 31 May 2023, 08:31, edited 2 times in total.
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

Binary transfers are used exclusively by the program.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
Sloane

Post by Sloane »

Hi, The creation of a zero-byte file during FTP backup for a 1KB ASCII file may indicate a potential issue with the transfer process. It could be caused by a misconfiguration, data corruption, or an incomplete transfer. To ensure reliable backups, it is important to verify the integrity of transferred files and investigate any discrepancies promptly. Regularly monitoring and validating backup processes can help identify and resolve such issues to maintain data integrity and reliability.revanced
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

The log file at the server side could also get you some clues as well.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator