FTP upload not working, same settings work on another machine.

Questions about Cobian Backup 11 (Gravity)
patg84

FTP upload not working, same settings work on another machine.

Post by patg84 »

Weird issue:

Fresh install of Cobian Gravity on Windows 2012 R2 and a fresh install on Windows 10. Both machines are up to date. The settings are identical in both setups for Cobian, even down to the test job.

The Windows 10 machine running the Cobian FTP test creates the new folder "test directory" and creates the 1kb temp file. The Windows server 2012 R2 machine does not. It creates the folder but hangs on the temp file. It creates it but it sits at 0kb. The error is below:

Code: Select all

The test will be processed by the engine. Please wait...
    Connecting to "x.x.x.x:21"
    The user "bk" has initiated a session on "x.x.x.x:21"
    Changing the remote directory to "/test-folder"
    The remote directory has been changed to "/test-folder"
    Creating the remote directory "Cobian Backup 11 test directory-2021-10-14 08;06;46"
    The remote directory "Cobian Backup 11 test directory-2021-10-14 08;06;46" was successfully created 
    Changing the remote directory to "Cobian Backup 11 test directory-2021-10-14 08;06;46"
    The remote directory has been changed to "Cobian Backup 11 test directory-2021-10-14 08;06;46"
    Uploading the test file C:\Windows\Temp\Test file.txt...
ERR An error occurred while uploading the test file "C:\Windows\Temp\Test file.txt": Read timed out.
ERR Some errors were detected when testing the FTP settings
    FTP client disconnected
For some dumb reason Cobian Gravity won't let me change the test file directory. On the Windows 2012 R2 server Cobian shows the built in admin accounts temp folder as, "C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Temp\2\". If I uncheck default temp folder it doesn't care what I put in.

On the Windows 10 machine that same temp folder shows up as, "C:\Users\pat\AppData\Local\Temp\" and everything works fine.

Also FWIW Cobian Reflector works on both machines to do this upload. Although there is no TEST function in Reflector the job ran fine. Same settings as in the above scenario, literally the same user, folder, and FTP server.
cobian
Site Admin

Re: FTP upload not working, same settings work on another machine.

Post by cobian »

Try changing the connection to Passive and test again.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
patg84

Post by patg84 »

It's set to Passive on both machines. I've tried it disabled as well.
patg84

Post by patg84 »

Here's what it looks like on the Windows 10 side:

Code: Select all

The test will be processed by the engine. Please wait...
    Connecting to "x.x.x.x:21"
    The user "bk" has initiated a session on "x.x.x.x:21"
    Changing the remote directory to "/test-folder"
    The remote directory has been changed to "/test-folder"
    Creating the remote directory "Cobian Backup 11 test directory-2021-10-14 08;58;48"
    The remote directory "Cobian Backup 11 test directory-2021-10-14 08;58;48" was successfully created 
    Changing the remote directory to "Cobian Backup 11 test directory-2021-10-14 08;58;48"
    The remote directory has been changed to "Cobian Backup 11 test directory-2021-10-14 08;58;48"
    Uploading the test file C:\Windows\Temp\Test file.txt...
    The test file "C:\Windows\Temp\Test file.txt" has been successfully uploaded
    The FTP settings seem to be correct. Please check the FTP server and delete the test directory and the file that were created by the program
    FTP client disconnected
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

My only theory is that the firewall settings for the server are a lot tighter than the one on Windows 10. Disable the firewall on the server and test if it work. If it does, then there you have it.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
patg84

Post by patg84 »

No clue, I've tried it without the firewall enabled, no difference. Oh well.