Auto start VPN connection in Pre-Event?

Questions about Cobian Backup 11 (Gravity)
nonoland

Auto start VPN connection in Pre-Event?

Post by nonoland »

Hi Cobian community,

I tryied to find a command line that auto enables a pre-existing VPN connection on my computer to backup. But the answers I gathered on the web were only for old vpn dialup connections (using 'rasdial' and 'rasphone') that does not matches my requirement.

I am under Windows 10 and the VPN connection is a L2TP configured with the Windows integrated VPN client.
I would like to use this command line in the Pre-Event feature.

If you have any tips, that would be great :)

A SECOND point in this topic, is about controling that the VPN connection is still active during the backup... instead of having all the end of the backup written in red in the logs.
Cobian developpers, is this feature existing ?
If not do you plan to add it in Cobian Reflector ?

Many thanks for your answers.
Have a nice day!
Regards,
Arno
Schirgi

Re: Auto start VPN connection in Pre-Event?

Post by Schirgi »

I can't tell you exactly how it works with the integrated Windows VPN Client but we use a FortiGate firewall in our company. FortiGate offers a CLI interface for its VPN client and i was able to autoconnect through a pre-backup command line event opening the VPN client with necessary arguments. After this event Cobian pauses for 15 seconds and then pings the remote host, just to be sure the tunnel is fully up before the destination address is tried. Post-backup Cobian executes the VPN client again with the option "disconnect" so i don't run into authentification timeouts.
cobian
Site Admin

Re: Auto start VPN connection in Pre-Event?

Post by cobian »

There is no plan to add an individual VPN event.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator