Backup strategy

Questions about Cobian Backup
SkyCorp

Backup strategy

Post by SkyCorp » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:22 am

Hello,

I would like to apply the following backup strategy:
* One full backup per month, with 7zip compression. I would like to keep a total of 6 full backups: the 2 last months + 1 in early quarter (January, April, July, and October). Any other backup is deleted.
* One differential backup per day. I would like to keep the last 2 weeks + All Monday backups of the current month and of the previous month (except for the last 2 weeks since they already exist).
* For important files / folders: One incremental backup per minute with 1-hour record (i.e. 60 backups) + One incremental backup every 10 minutes with 2-days record (i.e. 288 backups).

To manage all backups, I plan to create several tasks.
Problem: how could I manage full backups, to prevent the creation of unwanted full backups and of duplicates?

Thanks in advance for your help

cobian
Site Admin

Re: Backup strategy

Post by cobian » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:30 pm

This could potentially be a problem because of the archive attribute being cleared by a task and used by the other. You could try to solve this by using the time-stamp (non-attribute based method) but this only works without compression. You could also play with the advanced option of "Clear archive attribute" . What you need to know is that by default:

* Full and incremental backups clear the archive attribute
* Differential backup don't
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator and Developer
https://www.cobiansoft.com