viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1660
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
Artemis37

Re: Errors on backup

Post by Artemis37 »

Hello Luis,

Thank you for the REGEX suggestion. Sorry for not noticing your response [on 2nd page of topic] before today. Over the last few weeks I have tried dozens of filters [directory / mask / regular expression) but none were able to prevent the ~BROMIUM errors.

Here are a few new observations from further investigation of the ~BROMIUM errors reported during Cobian Reflector backups.
. folders named ~BROMIUM are NOT visible using typical Windows programs [File Manager, CMD, PowerShell, 3rd party OneCommander]
. the above tools are not able to create a folder named ~BROMIUM [get error]
. a VSS viewer confirms that VSS captures the existence of folders named ~BROMIUM

Suspect that the above behavior is due to HP modifications of Windows 11 when Wolf security is installed. A similar Windows 11 system without Wolf security installed is able to manually create and see a folder named ~BROMIUM.

. the ~BROMIUM errors are not encountered when VSS is disabled in a Cobian Reflector backup task

Given that VSS can see the ~BROMIUM folders and normal file operations can't, I suspect this is why none of the applied backup task filters were able to prevent the errors. Initial testing reflects that when VSS is deselected in the backup task, the ~BROMIUM errors are no longer reported.

I don't intend to remove Wolf security, and I want to keep using VSS to avoid errors due to locked or open files. Given the above notes, are you able to provide a workaround to prevent the ~BROMIUM errors while still using Wolf Security and VSS?

Thanks, and hope you find this situation somewhat interesting.
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

I understand. The security software may be using a driver to stealth the directories in user mode, but because VSS occurs at a lower level, the VSS copy sees the protected folders
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
Artemis37

Post by Artemis37 »

Hello Luis,

While it might not be adequate for other environments using your Reflector software, the following two task strategy allows backups to complete without error.

backup_A: non-VSS so no visibility to ~Bromium folders, select desired folders, exclude specific files that are typically open / locked

backup_B: using VSS which accommodates open / locked files, scheduled for later same day after backup_A completes, includes only specific files that were excluded from backup_A, this avoids errors associated with the ~BROMIUM folders

System backup is now running error free using the above model. Please let me know if you ever come up with an alternate solution you would like me to test.
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

I will add this to the list to things to do in case someone else takes over the development. Thanks,
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator