Does not like Mapped Drives

Questions about Cobian Reflector
cobian
Site Admin

Re: Does not like Mapped Drives

Post by cobian »

Good. Impersonation will sometimes not mount the drivers so that won't work.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
Sharky

Post by Sharky »

What is the difference if i check or uncheck UNC option?
Graham

Post by Graham »

Sharky wrote: 27 Oct 2021, 09:43 What is the difference if i check or uncheck UNC option?
Does this help ... https://www.cobiansoft.com/crHelp/options.html

"Convert all paths to UNC: If the program is installed as a service, it can have problems identifying mapped drives. So if you select a mapped drive, it will automatically be converted to a UNC path."
Sharky

Post by Sharky »

Graham wrote: 27 Oct 2021, 13:11
Sharky wrote: 27 Oct 2021, 09:43 What is the difference if i check or uncheck UNC option?
Does this help ... https://www.cobiansoft.com/crHelp/options.html

"Convert all paths to UNC: If the program is installed as a service, it can have problems identifying mapped drives. So if you select a mapped drive, it will automatically be converted to a UNC path."
Thanks for your answer. So, if I understand right, if I have instaled as program, then I can turn this option off. Am I right?
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

Yes. As an application it should behave as "you" and see all the mounting drives as "you".
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
Sharky

Post by Sharky »

cobian wrote: 27 Oct 2021, 15:45 Yes. As an application it should behave as "you" and see all the mounting drives as "you".
Great, thank you!
ctsdtm2

Post by ctsdtm2 »

should and does are not the same.. (sorry but there is an actual problem with Mapped drives)
Normally - I have it running as services - using a "regular User" that has access to the network share.
This is how I have it setup with Backup11 and that works. On the same system I have Reflector which fails.

No matter how I have Reflector setup If I am using the Mapped drives it fails.
I have tried it as an Application and with impersonated user - in addition to the normal set up as a service.
Further I have tested it on a different system and the same issue occurs.

I actually would prefer to use the unc over a mapped drive BUT I have this case - where the backup destination changes (sometimes it is an external drive others a network share).
An alternative thought - For a task given multiple destination would be possible to have an option to not give an error unless ALL destination fail?
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

Do you have some theory why it's not accessing the mapped drive if using as an application and without impersonation? I really don't. And don't see any logical explanation. :shock:
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
ctsdtm2

Post by ctsdtm2 »

cobian wrote: 28 Oct 2021, 16:00 Do you have some theory why it's not accessing the mapped drive if using as an application and without impersonation? I really don't. And don't see any logical explanation. :shock:
Not really - WAGs - needs an escape character or quotes or directory break.

I would also expect that if it worked with the UNC it would not be any different to a mapped drive to the same location. It is all about the permissions of the user right?

I noticed the 0.9.36 is out so I did some additional testing which produced different results then expected.

In my previous testing - I had originally installed as a service with regular account that has access to the share. Under this setup - UNC works; mapped does not. When I went to test as application, I did not "reinstall" but went to the Application/service control in Reflector, uninstalled the service and started the application. In this condition running as an application mapped drives fail.

Installing *.36 I originally installed as an application - well surprise! The dang mapped drive works... Why is that different than what I did previously?
More testing: through Application/service control I installed the service (Using my regular account that has access) again mapped drives fail.
Next I went back to application/service control uninstalled the service - so back to running as an application - mapped drives fail.

New WAG - something about the service install routing breaks Mapped drives.
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

OK. As a service it will never work, even when running as another user. That's because the drives are not mounted on that context.

That's leaves us only to the application mode... it's the only way.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator