Cobian Reflector behavior after start task

Questions about Cobian Reflector
wios

Cobian Reflector behavior after start task

Post by wios »

Hi again!
today when I creating a copy on another computer I made a mistake. I forgot to assign correct permissions on my network drive NAS (read and write permission) for destination path.

the data to backup with 7zip was over 60gb so the whole process took a few hours.

in logs I saw how archives are created in C:\Windows\Temp without any errors until suddenly when trying to copy them to a network drive after a few hours of packing access error :geek:

I corrected the permissions on my NAS and run the task again. this time I didn't find a "full backup" on NAS but only differential backup but the files was sucesfull created.

in C:\Windows\Temp the "full copy" was no longer there probably Cobian deleted this files but that's not the point.

If Cobian after starting task checked that we have access to the destination path (read and write) and exit when we dont have right permission I would know about my mistake right after starting the task, not after several hours compression my files :-D

such a change that Cobian will test permission on destination path at start would save a lot of time if someone like me do mistake with permission.
cobian
Site Admin

Re: Cobian Reflector behavior after start task

Post by cobian »

:OK But unfortunately there is no way to check for every possible mistake. Say that the permissions were OK. Does the program need to check fthat there is enough space in the NAS? If so, Does the program need to check that the eventual quote existing in the NAS will not be overpassed? If so do it need to check that... etc There are 1000s of cases.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
wios

Post by wios »

yes you are right there can be many error cases. I'm not a programmer so I don't know how long it takes to add such code probably a simple if loop is not enough ( it would probably be too easy) butincorrect permissions are rather half of user cases that job will end up with an error so maybe in future we'll get a similar option.
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

:OK
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator