Announcement

Questions about Cobian Reflector
Viacheslav

Re: Announcement

Post by Viacheslav »

Hello dear Luis,
I've been a translator of Cobian Backup/Reflector to Russian language for many years. It was a great time.
All things come to an end. I support any decision you will make.
Perhaps, the third one would be the most community-oriented: if nobody maintain the project, it will die, otherwise it is needed by people and will live.
If you feel tired with the project, please don't force yourself and do what you really want.

Best regards,
Viacheslav
Last edited by Viacheslav on 13 Aug 2024, 16:51, edited 1 time in total.
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

Thanks!
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
cobusersixty

Post by cobusersixty »

Dear Luis,

thank you so much for all your hard work on Cobian Backup and Reflector over the years. Your dedication has provided countless users with reliable and efficient backup solutions.

I understand how challenging it must be to maintain motivation after so many years, and I completely respect your desire to explore new projects. However, I would like to encourage you to consider the third option—making the project open source.

Even if no new features are ever added, simply maintaining Reflector to ensure its compatibility with current and future Windows versions would be invaluable. This would allow users to continue benefiting from your work for years to come.
I've developed a number of C# projects over the years, and I’m sure many other users could contribute as well.

Thank you again for everything you've done, and I hope you'll consider this path forward.

Glauco
fbrcdnts

Post by fbrcdnts »

Luis,

I use the software for a long time and love it, so its a sad announcement for me, but I fully understand and support your decision.

I will try to contribute as I can, if anyone accepts to maintain the project. I realy doubt it will die. I'm not a coder, though.

Best regards.

Fabrício Dantas
Brazil
Sheepdog2

Post by Sheepdog2 »

THANK YOU, THANK YOU for the many years Gravity 11 has been at the heart of my backup system.

I am so very sad to hear your plans, but entirely understand.

I sent a donation just now to underline my appreciation for what your program has done for me.

---
I tried many backup programs before finding Cobian... the best of the bunch by miles.

I love the granularity it provides.
fabianov

Post by fabianov »

Thank you for all the years you have dedicated to the project. Your hard work and passion in developing this software have been instrumental for many of us users. Cobian is the best backup software. I wish you much success in your new projects, new stories and achievements.
:APP :OK
martin007

Post by martin007 »

Dear Luis, thank you, for your dedication/work. You have done a remarkable work.
Hopefuly, it his goes with 3rd option, or, if you change your mind, i can provide free hosting, for forum and web page.
So, active developer can contact me, preferd by email.

BR Martin
operoper

Post by operoper »

I understand that some projects, especially free/open source ones, start with an internal passion, but if for some reason this dies and it affects you emotionally, your family time, and your quality time, then it's best to consider other options or let it go. Have you thought about offering a commercial version? I don't know how many downloads there are, but maybe you could support a team of developers. Just thinking about a fourth option.

"It's a shame, but in the end, it's about what makes you feel better."

Anyway, good luck with your new project. :OK
ragnarok

Post by ragnarok »

Subilo a un GIT y lo mantenemos entre todos! que no se pierda el fuente es un programa util.
Liberalo bajo GPL!!
ddyer

Post by ddyer »

Definitely #3, but keep the keys and encourage contributors. No need to be in a hurry.