7Z compatibility

Questions about Cobian Reflector
hugriv

7Z compatibility

Post by hugriv »

Could you please add the option for compatibility with '7z'. Cobian gravity if it had this compatibility, thanks.
7z is a better compressor and provides much smaller file sizes.
cobian
Site Admin

Re: 7Z compatibility

Post by cobian »

I have this in my list for things to do for version 2.0. It could take a couple of months to implement so it's a long term upgrade.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
chrisbak

Post by chrisbak »

Happy to just have found out that Cobian is back to develop a modern BAK Solution. All tough on the main system I plan to migrate to Linux I still use Cobian Backup for some family member Windows system to password-Backup in 7Z Format.
So 7ZIP support paired with the possibility to encrypt/password-protect in this format would also be interesting to me as I think ZIP is outdated for the performance and encryption.

If I may say another interesting feature wish: it would be nice to have a possibility to change the compressor file extension from .ZIP/.7Z to something custom like .COBR/.7ZB/.TEMP/.CACHE etc.
This because it would give a certain additional protection against Ransomware/Malware-File-Encryption which usually filters for "interesting" file types.

Thanks for having found new motivation to create a standout Backup software.
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

Good suggestion. Thanks
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
chrisbak

Post by chrisbak »

Glad you think so. I might add that now some year ago on one family PC I care for, because of incautious email attachment opening, we had the situation that all "interesting files," including the Cobian Backup .7z files where encrypted and lost.
Even the active Cloud-Syncronization did upload the encrypted files. Fortunately the Cloud-Software had a File-Version-Backup active, so that much of the personal data was restorable. Just to give a use case.
Last edited by chrisbak on 18 Mar 2022, 20:11, edited 1 time in total.
hugriv

Post by hugriv »

thanks.
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

:OK
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
chrisbak

Post by chrisbak »

I was looking at https://www.cobiansoft.com/crhistory.html and
Working now fully on the follow up version, Reflector 2.0. I am planning to add a lot of new features like Remote Management, splitting archives, better mailing and logging, and perhaps support for 7zip and cloud sources destinations
Is there a Roadmap at what stage 2.0 is and if 7zip will make it into it? I have a new Windows Install to set up so I wonder.
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

Yes, 7z will definitely be there on version 2.0. Somewhere at the end of the year I may have some working Beta .
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
chrisbak

Post by chrisbak »

Ok thanks. I will see if I install Backup 11.2.0.582 or wait for Reflector v2 to progress.
Last edited by chrisbak on 12 Oct 2022, 17:14, edited 1 time in total.