Errors on backup

Questions about Cobian Reflector
sminns

Errors on backup

Post by sminns »

Hi
I'm new to Cobian Reflector (I have used Cobian Gravity in the past) and every time I do a back up I get the following error for all my files:
ERR 2022-03-21 10:01:29 The directory "D:\Document Files\About Argyll\AML\~BROMIUM" couldn't be created: (2) The system cannot find the file specified: [D:\Document Files\About Argyll\AML\~BROMIUM]
Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? I have it set up as a service (running Windows 10 by the way) and on a schedule. Tried to do a full back up to begin with and the same thing happened. I have it set to do incremental back ups and every 6th back up is full. Otherwise I haven't changed any of the standard settings. I have also uninstalled the software and reinstalled it and I have rebooted the laptop a few times.
Thanks!
Sue
cobian
Site Admin

Re: Errors on backup

Post by cobian »

I guess D: is a network drive?
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
Graham

Post by Graham »

sminns wrote: 21 Mar 2022, 11:35 I have it set up as a service ...
The user account that Reflector uses by default when it runs as a service is the "System" account ... It might be that the "System" account does not have permssion to logon or write files on the destination.

Go to ... Reflector ... Tools ... Service and application control ... and set the service to use ... Regular account ... with ... Account details ... that are the same username and password that you use when you logon to Windows (or any other account that is valid on the destination device).
sminns

Post by sminns »

Hi
Drive D is an external hard drive and has no password/user ID. I've always used it for back ups only and it does have some back ups from when I was using Gravity. But I need to keep them, so don't want to clear the drive. I did try using a new USB stick to do a full back up, but still got the same error messages. When I did what you suggested, it asked for password/User ID for the Destination.
Sue
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

USB drives are often not available to all users så you need to change the installation mode to Application.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
Artemis37

Post by Artemis37 »

The issue appears to be related to the interesting SureClick protection software (which utilizes hidden folders and micro-virtualization) that HP now includes with some PC's under the brand name HP Wolf Security.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bromium

While ramping up a new HP laptop I encountered similar Cobian Reflector errors to those posted in this topic. Backups complete successfully but there are many "informational" type errors in the Cobian Reflector log.

Backing up from local C: to USB D: with both drives protected results in errors of the following format.

ERR 2023-06-05 02:00:15 The directory "D:\folder_info\~BROMIUM" couldn't be created: (2) The system cannot find the file specified: [D:\folder_info\~BROMIUM]

A backup from local protected C: to unprotected USB P: completes but once again reports similar errors.

ERR 2023-06-07 20:55:14 The directory "P:\folder_info\~BROMIUM" couldn't be created: (2) The system cannot find the file specified: [P:\folder_info\~BROMIUM]

Subsequently backing up from unprotected USB P: to protected USB D: doesn't report the error. I attempted to define a filter in the backup to exclude the ~BROMIUM folders but haven't yet found one that works.

Although the topic isn't backup software, perhaps a solution might be gleaned from the article at the following location.

https://support.hpwolf.com/s/article/Br ... lity-Guide

Thanks for any recommendations you can provide.
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

:OK
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator