Execute POST-BACKUP event after deletion of oldest backup.

Questions about Cobian Reflector
Talknik

Execute POST-BACKUP event after deletion of oldest backup.

Post by Talknik »

Hi,
to ensure that on a backed up PC the user (or an hacker) cannot access the backup destination folder on NAS and delete it, I set a password to the interface and with a "pre-backup event" I use a commnd line that authenticate the pc on nas (with NET USE \\NAS_IP\DestinationFolder ...).
After that the backup is done i use a "post-backup event" with wich I close the access of my pc to the backup folder on nas with a command-line like "NET USE \\NAS_IP\DestinationFolder /D".
I have a problem when the backed up folder size is big (ex. 116GB) and also the differential backup are big (6 GB). As the post-event backup close the connection before that the "backuground process" can delete the older backup files... the result is that the NAS will be full and my backup process stop working. It should be possible to wait that the underground process that are deleting the old files have finished before to run the post backup event? thank you.
cobian
Site Admin

Re: Execute POST-BACKUP event after deletion of oldest backup.

Post by cobian »

The deletion of the old backups are done in an own thread. The program doesn't wait for the deletion to be complete, but just spans a thread and goes on.

I'll keep this is mind for future versions. You could add a pause of some minutes before the real post-backup event just to give some time for the deletion thread to complete.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator