Task Not Running at Startup

Questions about Cobian Reflector
Chip

Task Not Running at Startup

Post by Chip »

Hello,
I run CR as a service (not application). I have a backup task defined that is scheduled to run on startup. It will run automatically if I, from a powered on stage, reboot my PC. But when I start the PC from a cold shutdown state, the scheduled task does NOT run. After restart, the CR icon shows in the system tray. I am running CR 1.0.0 under Windows 11.

As I am new to the forum, may I just say to all: I recently switched to CR as it offers all the characteristics I wanted in a backup utility, namely
• A simple interface
• Stores data in non-proprietary, uncompressed, unencrypted format in its original folder tree structure to allow restoral with any Windows File
Manager.
• Allows control over the use of volume shadow copy and mirroring processes (e.g., they can be turned off)
• Backup tasks defined and stored with user ability to disable them or manually specify it to run as a "full" backup
• Can reliably perform automated backups at startup (we are working on this with this question)

Mr. Luis Cobian, you are a very talented developer. And I learned much about backup philosophy from your user manual.
Chip
cobian
Site Admin

Re: Task Not Running at Startup

Post by cobian »

Thanks.

If the computer was asleep, and then awaked, the program was already running so the "At startup" won't be triggered. Stopping the service and starting it again will trigger it, though.

I may consider adding an "On awake" option in future versions.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
jojo88

Post by jojo88 »

This is basically the same question I asked, and yes stopping and starting the service did key the backup to start.
Just not what I was expecting since I was logged off, and did restart the system.
Chip

Post by Chip »

It seems, as a service from a cold bootup CR will not run a task "at startup" for me. But I switched to running CR as an application and now all "at startup" tasks run faithfully.
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

As a service the "On startup" could sometimes experiment a little delay, but it should work. The service and the application share the same base code.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
Chip

Post by Chip »

When running CR as a service,
1) after a warm reboot the "at startup" task would always faithfully run.
2) starting up cold from an unpowered state, "at startup" task would never run.

When running CR as an application,
1) after a warm reboot the "at startup" task always faithfully run.
2) starting up cold from an unpowered state, "at startup" task always faithfully run.

I am OK running CR as an application to make things work for me. With the code being the same as you describe, I am not sure why I experienced this though. Incidentally, I have Windows configured to not require a login password should this have any bearing on things.
Last edited by Chip on 29 Jun 2022, 16:24, edited 5 times in total.
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

When running CR as a service,
1) after a warm reboot the "at startup" task would always faithfully run. Because the service is starting .
2) starting up cold from an unpowered state, "at startup" task would never run. Because the service is already started

When running CR as an application,
1) after a warm reboot the "at startup" task always faithfully run. Because the application is starting
2) starting up cold from an unpowered state, "at startup" task always faithfully run. Because the application is starting. An application "dies" when the user logs off
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
ira

Post by ira »

Did you mean logging back on after putting the computer to sleep? I don't see how starting from cold is different than a reboot unless it's a machine that was sleeping.
Chip

Post by Chip »

Mr. Cobian,

You say (relative to running CR as a service):
2) starting up cold from an unpowered state, "at startup" task would never run. Because the service is already started

Keep in mind, I prevent my computer from sleeping. It is either on or off. So to me the service would not have been already started as the computer was started from a "cold boot" previously unpowered, not logged in state.

But, for whatever reason (same code or not):
now when I run CR as an application: After a cold startup from completely unpowered state: "at startup" task now always runs.
Last edited by Chip on 17 Jul 2022, 23:50, edited 3 times in total.