Any way around for files locks on a network file?

Questions about Cobian Reflector
Todd

Any way around for files locks on a network file?

Post by Todd »

Cobian Relector 1.0
Windows 11-21H2 (file server)
Windows 10-21H2 (file client)

Any working or fix for file backing up files from a file server that have a file lock on them?

ERR 2022-07-01 17:24:38 An error occurred while copying "\\abc-DESKTOP\Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks\Company Files\acme.qbw" to "E:\MyDocsBackup\backup1\acme (Full).qbw": The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process

Under Linux, you just open the file "read only" to back it up, but I do not know exactly how Windows handles things on a file share. I can open files locally with Raku (Perl6) in read only mode, but I have never tried a network drive.

Many thanks,
-T
cobian
Site Admin

Re: Any way around for files locks on a network file?

Post by cobian »

Under Windows the application that is using the file can choose to give rights to other applications to read the file or not. If the process chooses not to share there is nothing one can do but use Volume Shadow Copy, which unfortunately cannot be used remotely. The backup program can be installed on THAT machine and VSC can be used, though.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
Todd

Post by Todd »

Still an issue on Cobian Reflector 1.1.0
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

Under Windows the application that is using the file can choose to give rights to other applications to read the file or not. If the process chooses not to share there is nothing one can do but use Volume Shadow Copy, which unfortunately cannot be used remotely. The backup program can be installed on THAT machine and VSC can be used, though.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator