Running as Managed Service Account

Questions about Cobian Reflector
mathewpajc

Running as Managed Service Account

Post by mathewpajc »

Hi,
I am having problems running Cobian Reflector as a (Group) managed service account and it's rights.

Windows Server 2019
Cobian Reflector 0.9.56 Beta

Code: Select all

2022-07-26 14:37:14 Backing up the task "Spolecne"
    2022-07-26 14:37:14 Requesting the creation of a Volume Shadow Copy image for the source...
ERR 2022-07-26 14:37:14 One or more errors occurred while creating the Volume Shadow Copy image.
[b]ERR 2022-07-26 14:37:14 Volume Shadow Copy error: 1600[/b]
    2022-07-26 14:37:14 Starting the copy. The user running the task is: ServiceCobian$
    2022-07-26 14:37:14 Compressing the directory "D:\spolecne" into a monolithic archive...
    2022-07-26 14:37:15 Adding the directory "D:\spolecne" to the archive...
[b]ERR 2022-07-26 14:37:15 An error occurred while listing the content of the directory "D:\spolecne": (5) Access is denied: [D:\spolecne][/b]
    2022-07-26 14:37:15 Checking the archive "C:\Users\ServiceCobian$\AppData\Local\Temp\spolecne.zip"...
When I switch the account for Cobian in "Services" under Windows - it adds the password automatically and the service starts correctly. But Cobian has a problem with access rights for this account. I have added the service account to - "Properities - Security" and added "Full access" for the whole "D" drive and also for the destination folder.
Service_running.PNG
Service_running.PNG (21.96 KiB) Viewed 1652 times
ServiceAccount_Security.PNG
ServiceAccount_Security.PNG (83.82 KiB) Viewed 1652 times
I have created the gMSA with the help of this tutorial - everything was set up correctly, I can see the account in "AD - Managed Services Accounts."
https://www.advancedinstaller.com/manag ... rvice.html

If I run the service with an admin account everything works great.

What seems to be the problem? How can I set the folder rights correctly?
Thanks in advance!
cobian
Site Admin

Re: Running as Managed Service Account

Post by cobian »

This is a problem with the account. Windows is not giving access to those files for some reason (Access is denied). You need to find out the reason why. Do the permissions propagate into the underfolders?
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
mathewpajc

Post by mathewpajc »

Hello,
firstly I would like to personaly thank you for your swift answer and great program that you have created.

I have managed to solve the folder permissions problem.
After a deaper dive I have discovered a bad sctructure of permissions and ownerships which I will repair later.
I have changed the owner of desired folder and again inherently gave read write execute on the parent folder under Advanced and now it works.

The only error that remains is this:

Code: Select all

ERR 2022-07-27 09:57:30 One or more errors occurred while creating the Volume Shadow Copy image.
ERR 2022-07-27 09:57:30 Volume Shadow Copy error: 1600
What should I change or where to look to find out?
Is it again a folder permission problem - which folder does the VSC use? What permissions should I allow?
What is the least privileged permissions structure that the Cobian needs to work (On the source, destination and VSC folder)?

Once more, thank you for your great effort and answers.
Mathew
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

Error 1600 means: The VSS failed to be created. More info in the event viewer. TAke a look at the Event Viewer to see if you can find some more info there.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
mathewpajc

Post by mathewpajc »

Hello,
In the event viewer I found this error for Cobian Reflector VSC Requester:
An error occurred while preparing the Volume Shadow Copy Requester: Attempted to perform an unauthorized operation.
What can I do to change this?

Thank you very much for all your help.
Last edited by mathewpajc on 04 Aug 2022, 09:10, edited 1 time in total.
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

No idea. I guess the VSC requester is running as System? In that case there should not be any problems.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator