Group "Backup Operator"

Questions about Cobian Reflector
Votion

Group "Backup Operator"

Post by Votion »

Hi there!
I'm using Cobian Reflector and it's working fine - but I do backup tasks with my domain user credentials. (which have NTFS permissions to all backuping folders)
When I try to use domain user - "Backup" which is a member of built-in group "Backup Operators" I have error - Access in denied.

On one hand there's information like "A backup operator is an user that can back up and restore the computer regardless of file system security. A member of the Backup Operators group can extract files and directories for which the user would normally not have access". Sounds pretty good.

But on the other hand (from docs.microsoft.com)- This user right is effective only when an application attempts access through the NTFS backup application programming interface (API) through a tool such as NTBACKUP.EXE. Otherwise, standard file and directory permissions apply.

So my question is - is it Conbian Reflector use NTFS API? In this case adding user in "Backup Operators" should work.. but in my case it is not

Thanks in advance!
Votion

Re: Group "Backup Operator"

Post by Votion »

As I understand there's TokenPrivilege - SeBackupPrivilage, which my user have.. but it's disabled.
And the application (in our case Cobian Reflector) should activate this privilege (make enable status), while backuping.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... in-a-token
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

The application assigns this privilege to the user, but if the user already has it and its disabled, then the installer does nothing more. Activate this privilege manually so it should work then.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
Votion

Post by Votion »

Thanks for your answer

Correct me, if im not right.. but application cannot assign privilege to the user, if he hasn't it. If he's not in the group "Backup Operators".
whoami /priv show that my Cobian user has this privilege and it's disabled by default.. and there's no simple command or some GUI solution to enable it forever.

The backup application should enable this privelege by using special command, flags etc.

For example: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... ges-in-c--
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

The program doesn't assign the BackupOperator privilege. Sorry, I though you were talking about the "LOGON AS A SERVICE" privilege which the installer assigns to a user when running as a service.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator