Thoughts on backup and maybe feature requests

Questions about Cobian Reflector
ira

Thoughts on backup and maybe feature requests

Post by ira »

I have a customer for whom I created 31 identical backup tasks, one for each day of the month, to backup just her outlook file because she likes to mess it up way to often and that way she can go back as little or as much as she needs. So I was planning on listing all these clever ways to specify some fancier backup strategies when it dawned on me I could possible use Parameters in the file name, but in this case it would require %DOM. So maybe you could be kind enough as to add %DOM and %DOW to the Parameter list, preferably with DOM returning 01 - 31 and not 1-31 so they sort correctly in explorer.

Ira
cobian
Site Admin

Re: Thoughts on backup and maybe feature requests

Post by cobian »

Thanks. Under the mean time you could use %FORMATDATETIME with the Alternative date-time format (Options/Advanced): dd
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
ira

Re: Thoughts on backup and maybe feature requests

Post by ira »

I see. I likely never would have found that as I would have thought that might be a per job setting and not global setting. That means I can't use both DOW and DOM unless I want to give up the ability to timestamp backups.

It might also be nice to allow backups only where (DOM/n == DOM MOD n) or (DOM/n = DOM%n). That would allow having 5 backups that are replaced once a month no matter the number of days in a month.

Just thinking out loud, trying to get reasonable backups that go back a while without filling up the target drive.

Ira