Unable to create new folders on a network drive

Questions about Cobian Reflector
bushiaku

Unable to create new folders on a network drive

Post by bushiaku »

Hi,

these are my specs:
LANGUAGE: Italian

it seems that the software could not create new folders when I try to backup on a network drive.
This is the error i get from the log:

ERR 2022-10-24 15:29:17 The destination directory "\\wsl$\Ubuntu-22.04\home\mlocatelli\TESTBCK\Vboxsvr\c_wsl\home\mlocatelli\TESTBCK" couldn't be created: (3) Impossibile trovare il percorso specificato: [wsl$\Ubuntu-22.04\home]

The error means that Reflector is unable to find the specified path: "wsl$\Ubuntu-22.04\home". Checking it, seems like it does not use the correct path because it does not include the double backslash at the beginning "\\".
This happens only when the folder is not present on the target folder of the backup and it has to be created. If the folder exists already it works like a charm.

Best Regards,
Matteo
bushiaku

Re: Unable to create new folders on a network drive

Post by bushiaku »

I would like to add an information:
I also created and run the same task on Cobian Backup 11 (Gravity) and no issue occured. The new folders are created successfully.

Regards,
Matteo
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

Run the program as an application and not as a service.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
bushiaku

Post by bushiaku »

Hi Luis,

thanks for your reply.
I am already using the program as an application and not as a service. During the setup I didn't install the service at all.

--
Matteo
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

But the thing is, the destination directory must be indicated as absolute, never as a relative path (relative to what?). So it must begin with \\
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
bushiaku

Post by bushiaku »

Hi Luis,

I'm sorry, maybe I explained badly the problem.
Both Source path and Destination path are specified as absolute. Both starts with the \\ at the beginning:
SOURCE: \\VBOXSVR\c_wsl\home\mlocatelli\TESTBCK
DESTINATION: \\wsl$\Ubuntu-22.04\home\mlocatelli\TESTBCK

Only in the error i find the string of the destination file specified without the \\ at the beginning:
ERR 2022-11-16 13:04:07 The destination directory "\\wsl$\Ubuntu-22.04\home\mlocatelli\TESTBCK\Vboxsvr\c_wsl\home\mlocatelli\TESTBCK" couldn't be created: (3) Impossibile trovare il percorso specificato: [wsl$\Ubuntu-22.04\home]

The last piece of this error contains the destination path that does not begins with \\.
So I thought that could be a bug of the Reflector, since the same task, with the same settings, on Backup 11 (Gravity) works fine.

--
Matteo
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

The las error is the error that windows passes back. Is the name of the NAS really wsl$ ? Seems more like the name of a shared folder.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
bushiaku

Post by bushiaku »

Hi Luis,

yes, both the source and destination are shared folders mapped as network drives.

I now have noticed that Cobian Backup uses the unit letter of the mapped drive instead of the "\\" when I select the destination folder, Cobian Reflector converts the path to the absolute with "\\". So I created another task on Cobian Backup using the "\\" at the beginning of the destination folder, but the task run successfully.
I have attached some screenshots.

After this I did some tests:
- Created a task with same source, but destination folder in the local disk (C:\Users\Matteo\Documents\Wind3\TESTBCK)
all folders and files have been copied successfully.
- Created another task with source folder in the local disk C, but destination on the shared folder (\\wsl$\Ubuntu-22.04\home\mlocatelli\TESTBCK)
errors when creating the folders in the destination.

--
Matteo
Attachments
Cobian Reflector - Task Folders.png
Cobian Reflector - Task Folders.png (32.19 KiB) Viewed 1721 times
Cobian Backup - Destination with backslashes at the beginning.png
Cobian Backup - Destination with backslashes at the beginning.png (23.77 KiB) Viewed 1721 times
Cobian Backup - Destination uses Unit letter.png
Cobian Backup - Destination uses Unit letter.png (23.05 KiB) Viewed 1721 times
Cobian - Mapped Network Drives.png
Cobian - Mapped Network Drives.png (7.66 KiB) Viewed 1721 times
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

In reflector you will get the same result is you select Functionality - Convert all paths to UNC
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
bushiaku

Post by bushiaku »

Hi Luis,

the option "Convert all paths to UNC" was already selected.
I also tried to run the task with this option disabled but I got the same error.

--
Matteo