"Access to the cloud file is denied" from local OneDrive

Questions about Cobian Reflector
LudwigWittgenstein

"Access to the cloud file is denied" from local OneDrive

Post by LudwigWittgenstein »

Greetings Cobian-inians!

I'm an enthusiastic new user, and by no means a tech pro. I realized that I need to back up some work I've done related to the topic of philosophical investigations, but have run in to the following problem, on my first Cobian Reflector back up task, for which I'm hoping there's a solution.
THE PROBLEM:
My backup source is my local C: OneDrive, destination is an external hard drive. Running the backup task, I am getting thousands of log error messages, to wit: "An error occurred while copying C: [....] Access to the cloud file is denied."
MY UNSATISFACTORY IDEAS ON SOLUTIONS:
I imagine one answer is "download all of your cloud files to your local C: OneDrive and then run the backup again." Naturally I have a small solid state hard drive on my necessarily thin and light laptop, so there is not enough disk space for that. Perhaps I should download all of my cloud OneDrive to one of my larger external hard drives, back that up via Cobian to a second external hard drive, which would be my "master" Cobian / OneDrive backup, and then from now on, any newly created files and documents created on my local OneDrive can be backed up on a daily schedule, to said second hard drive (via Cobian) before they disappear in to the apparently inaccessible-to-Cobian OneDrive cloud storage location. Alternatively, perhaps I should make one of my external larger 1TB hard drives my permanent local OneDrive location, such that all files are local, I don't need OneDrive cloud off-site storage, and run Cobian backup from one external hard drive to a 2nd hard drive from there (thus removing the cloud inaccessibility problem)(?)

This problem creating local hard drive backups to large folders, sub-folder and files, which are partially stored on cloud servers, to save local disk space, as with OneDrive and Dropbox, has vexed me for years. I see cloud storage as a sort of backup, but I need local hard drive backup as well.

Any help on this is welcome.
cobian
Site Admin

Re: "Access to the cloud file is denied" from local OneDrive

Post by cobian »

Unfortunately, onedrive folders don't keep the files in the disk, but those are downloaded when needed, so the files are not there. The program supports *local* sources, ftp and sftp sources but not cloud sources. One solution is to check the option to work offline in OneDrive but this will keep a full copy of your files in your computer as well.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator