Error deleting Empty directories

Questions about Cobian Reflector
Bobins

Error deleting Empty directories

Post by Bobins »

I have a number of backups which are directed to various shares on my Synology NAS.
The backups are simple copies of the original files (i.e. not into a zip/rar compressed file).
The target directories on the NAS contain a directory named #recycle which is a system directory used by the NAS as a recycle bin.

The "ignore empty directories" option is selected for all the backups.

During backup, Cobian copies the files due to be archived and also seems to include empty directories then it appears to check if any of the directories in the target are empty, even those not involved in the backup process.

This causes a problem.
An error message is generated as Cobian does not have permission to read or write to the #recycle directory. Given the directory was not involved in the backup I would not have expected Cobian to try and access it. There does not appear to be a way to get Cobian to ignore the #recycle directory.
Cobian copied empty directories from the source instead of ignoring them but then doesn't remove those empty directories.

Surely the idea was that Cobian didn't copy empty directories in the first place if the "Ignore" option was selected? Not sure what logic is at work here :-D
cobian
Site Admin

Re: Error deleting Empty directories

Post by cobian »

The actual question is why those folders cannot be deleted.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
Bobins

Post by Bobins »

Cobian doesn't report any error regarding trying to delete any empty directory it has created. It just reports it cannot access the NAS's #recycle directory (which is not involved in the backup).
The empty directories it has copied do not get deleted.
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

Are you listing hidden files?
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
Bobins

Post by Bobins »

I have checked and showing hidden files shows nothing in the relevant directory.

For a test a created a new empty directory in the source. I run the backup and it reports no files backed up (which should be correct as all new files have already been backed up overnight).

It has however created an new empty directory in the target despite the "Ignore empty directories" being ticked in the advanced options.
ioi

Post by ioi »

Hola:
En tu synology puedes desactivar la papelera de reciclaje, es una funcion de tu NAS que permite recuperar archivos borrados, tambien podrias excluir el directorío directamente en la configuración de la tarea en Cobina.

--------------------
Hello:
On your synology you can disable the recycle garbage can, it is a function of your NAS that allows you to recover deleted files, you could also exclude the directory directly in the task settings in Cobina.
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

For a test a created a new empty directory in the source. I run the backup and it reports no files backed up (which should be correct as all new files have already been backed up overnight).

It has however created an new empty directory in the target despite the "Ignore empty directories" being ticked in the advanced options.
That's expected. This option doesn't work with remote destinations. I though you were having problems when deleting old backups.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator