Parameter of 7zip (ENHANCEMENT)

Questions about Cobian Reflector
cirilorochabr

Parameter of 7zip (ENHANCEMENT)

Post by cirilorochabr »

First congratulations for the excellent work, your tool is excellent, I have been using it for many years.
I recently observed a situation that made me curious, when I migrated from the old version (v11) to the most recent version (v2.3.0) I noticed a big difference in my compression rate (between 5% and 20%) for less.
After investigating a lot I noticed that the difference was in the change in the ordering of the files in 7zip (before in version 4.65), before it was "by type" and now it is "by name" (in version 16).
As I have thousands of files of the same type this makes a big difference in compression because they are more grouped and this way the algorithm is much more efficient.

This configuration can be adjusted by the command line using the -mqs parameter, thus making the program group the files "by type", considerably improving compression, with perhaps a small loss of performance due to the randomness of the I/O on a mechanical HD, on a SSD got even faster due to the compression gain.

I would like to make two suggestions here:
1) Leave this option as a setting that can be selected in the program (just like it already has solid file parameters, etc.)
2) Create a field in the settings where additional parameters for 7zip could be added, so it would also be possible to already add the mentioned parameter, or others that the user deems necessary.

I am very grateful for the contribution with this excellent tool.
cobian
Site Admin

Re: Parameter of 7zip (ENHANCEMENT)

Post by cobian »

I'll see what can be done
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator