Mirror mode - FTP not local

Questions about Cobian Reflector
OndasBarcelona

Mirror mode - FTP not local

Post by OndasBarcelona »

Hello Luis.

First of all, excellent software.
I would like to tell you about the need of our small group of radio stations that synchronise their contents three times a day with an FTP controlled by the content manager. There are programmes that expire and have to be deleted and others added.
The stations, logically, are remote and are not on a local network. We know that your software is designed in a generic way for backup but we have found a function, the mirror function, that fits our needs.
Just one small and one big problem, at the same time. There is no way to fully mirror the remote points as files deleted in the FTP are not deleted in the mirrors.
Could it be that on the remote points it also deletes what is deleted from the source FTP?
We have tried a few other similar applications, which we don't like in general, and they do mirror completely from a remote point.
Without this "Full" function this software is useless unless we do a VPN and turn the remote points into local points, which is still a problem as it requires logins, etc.
Please consider making this "full mirror" function to further enhance this wonderful software.
Thank you.
Last edited by OndasBarcelona on 09 Jan 2023, 12:41, edited 1 time in total.
ira

Re: Mirror mode - FTP not local

Post by ira »

There is software like Dropbox that does this automatically. For something free, I use something called Syncthing.net. It seems like one of those might be better suited to your needs.
OndasBarcelona

Post by OndasBarcelona »

Hello,
Thank you for the advice, but we are not friends of participation of other people's systems.

From what I understand from your answer you do not value in any case that the function of synchronizing from a source FTP to a remote folder (destination) is complete (deleting the files that are deleted from the FTP) and NOT the other way around?

I comment this because our intention would be not to stop using C.R.

Thanks
Last edited by OndasBarcelona on 08 Jan 2023, 23:39, edited 1 time in total.
ira

Post by ira »

I kind of have no idea if what I suggested will work for you, but if it did, it's magic. If not than, just means I didn't understand your needs.
OndasBarcelona

Post by OndasBarcelona »

Let's see if I can explain it.

- From a source I set up an FTP or SFTP in whose folder I add 2 new files (A and B).
- As a destination from a remote location (not local) I set up a folder.
- The mode I choose in your program is mirror mode.
- At the first manual or scheduled synchronisation the files (A and B) will appear at the remote destination.
- Now I delete the file (B) in FTP or SFTP.
- Your program after a manual or scheduled synchronisation DOES NOT DELETE file (B) on the remote destination
I have two questions:
What is wrong with mirror mode in remote deleting files if I by choosing mirror mode I assume it must be so (I referenced to you that 100% of paid and free software do this).
Why locally it does let considering that the danger is the same?

Under my point of view should stop considering the mirror mode as "dangerous" as it is very useful and practical and more in systems where files must be removed by obsolescence or simply because they are not interested that are (always speaking in remote locations as in local locations YES that does well)

Regards
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

I'll se what I can do (even if I have promised myself to never again work on the Mirror function, which should never be part of a backup program).
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
OndasBarcelona

Post by OndasBarcelona »

Hello Luis,

We thank you for your interest and work to adjust the program to the needs of the users. My congratulations for all.
faeroesdesert

Post by faeroesdesert »

From my vantage point, it would be incorrect to label the mirror mode as "dangerous" since it is actually quite helpful and practicalbasketbros, especially in systems where files need to be deleted due to obsolescence or just because the user is uninterested (I always say that remote locations perform just as well as local ones). The information you analyze is detailed and leads the problem to an easy-to-understand solution.
Last edited by faeroesdesert on 05 Mar 2024, 05:05, edited 1 time in total.
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

Yes, but it is dangerous if used as backup. A hammer is not dangerous, when it's expected to be used to hammer nails.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator