Is there an option to copy and delete separated monolithic archives during the backup process ?

Questions about Cobian Reflector
flonou

Is there an option to copy and delete separated monolithic archives during the backup process ?

Post by flonou »

Hi,
I'm trying to switch to separated monolithic archive backups in order to reduce the number of folders/files used by my backups but I'm facing another issue. The program correctly creates separate archives with the given filesize but it doesn't try to copy (and then delete) these files before working on the next one. Maybe that's a limitation of 7zip backup process ?
I have more than 1Tb of data and not enough space to store all the compressed backups files so a solution that would allow separated archives (to reduce the number of files/folders) and upload and then delete of the archives during the backup would be nice if possible
cobian
Site Admin

Re: Is there an option to copy and delete separated monolithic archives during the backup process ?

Post by cobian »

The temporary files are deleted when the task is terminated, so the best option would be to separate the source (one per task)
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
flonou

Re: Is there an option to copy and delete separated monolithic archives during the backup process ?

Post by flonou »

Do you mean separating my full drive backup (of 1Tb of data) into multiple tasks ?
That's something that is difficult to do IMO to separate a whole drive into small enough tasks.

By the way, this led into all my disk space being used which resulted into the engine crashing silently (and not freeing the temporary file as it crashed)

So you do not plan to add an option to copy/delete temporary separated monolithic archives during a task ?
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

Not at this moment, no.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
flonou

Post by flonou »

Thanks for your answers!

I guess I will try to disable compression for full backups and enable it for differential then
Maybe that could be an option if that makes sense by the way ? compress only some kid of backups.
I thought about using pre/post backup events to automate this change, but I did not see if the backup type could be passed as a parameter to any command (I guess not as it seems very specific)

I hope that will help keep a low enough number of files/folders for my offsite storage solution
Last edited by flonou on 22 Jan 2023, 23:06, edited 1 time in total.
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

Yes, for incremental/differential it could be OK. Another solution could be to change the temporary directory to some other folder with more space.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
flonou

Post by flonou »

That's actually a good idea, I can compress directly on my NAS (though I guess files would have to be copied and not moved when the backup ends ?)

I wonder if backup can support a computer sleep during the process when I do that
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

When a backup begins the task will prevent that the computer goes to sleep.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator