PC Locking up with V2.3.3

Questions about Cobian Reflector
eqcons

PC Locking up with V2.3.3

Post by eqcons »

I've upgraded through all the versions of CR with no problems, until V2.3.3. My backups are set to run overnight, (Incremental) and since I installed 2.3.3, every morning when I come to my desk, the PC has locked up. If I run the incremental attended, it completes successfully, If I exit 2.3.3 so that the overnight backup doesn't run, PC is not locked up in the morning. I've not installed anything else, nothing new, no updates, only 2.3.3 since the problem started. OS is (yes, I know, I know... :-) ) Win 8.1 64 bit.
cobian
Site Admin

Re: PC Locking up with V2.3.3

Post by cobian »

Hmmm nothing has changed in the latest releases that could possibly cause this.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
eqcons

Post by eqcons »

Thanks Luis, Nothing else has changed on the PC either, and it seems to be repeatable. I'll try it again, let it run a backup tonight, and see if it's locked up again in the morning.

Jim
eqcons

Post by eqcons »

Let it run the backup last night, locked up again this morning. I've gone back to 2.3.2 to see what happens.
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

When you say that the machine is "locked" what do you mean? You cannot move the mouse or use the keyboard?
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
eqcons

Post by eqcons »

Backup completed happily with 2.3.2 during the night, machine fine this morning.

By locked I mean that although the display is fine, and I can move the mouse pointer around, mouse clicks and key presses do nothing. Rest button is the only option, Luis.

I think i may be wrong in saying it started with 2.3.3 - it may have been 2.3.5 and 2.3.6 that were installed when the problem first appeared.

100% repeatable though. With either of those installed, machine backs up and is frozen to mouse clicks and key presses in the morning, back to 2.3.2 and it's fine. I wonder if it's some interaction with something to do with email. After every reset button restart when it's been locked there's a completely blank email in my inbox (by completely blank, I mean empty, no subject, no sender....)

Jim
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

But why is not anyone else reporting this problem? I really have no idea here.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
eqcons

Post by eqcons »

Perhaps nobody is using the setup I have..... W8.1 isn't that common these days, and if my suspicions about email are correct, it could be an interaction with my email client, or my virtual POP3 server that I use, or even the size of my mail file databases.....

I'm happy to continue with 2.3.2, does all I need, but equally happy to try new versions as they come along.
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

:OK
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
ira

Post by ira »

Does Alt+TAB show another box you can't see? Programs can seem to lock up when a modal dialog appears behind or off screen and can't be reached. It seems far fetched, but it's darn annoying and sometimes hard to diagnose or get around when it happens. Try making sure there are no programs on screen next time the program finishes by minimizing or closing everything, then if something shows at the end it won't be hidden.