Reflector writing backup to the AppData\local\temp file

Questions about Cobian Reflector
Woollybugger

Reflector writing backup to the AppData\local\temp file

Post by Woollybugger »

Hi,

Just updated to Reflector 2.3.9.

I was able to run a backup archiving as a .zip successfully when initially setup, with the archive saving to the correct location. Since then I have added an additional directory to the list. Since that point the archive has been saved to C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Temp\207bdf79-8c58-4919-aef0-60e7ba3a9132 completely filing my C Drive. The archive location is on my E drive. When installing I used the defaults, using VSS writer.

When I opened Reflector, I found it had stopped, with the "Engine not found" warning, so no log file.

This is the only entry in the eventvwr, Application:
Application: Cobian.Reflector.Application.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.IO.IOException
at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32, System.String)
at System.IO.FileStream.WriteCore(Byte[], Int32, Int32)
at System.IO.FileStream.Write(Byte[], Int32, Int32)
at System.IO.StreamWriter.Flush(Boolean, Boolean)
at System.IO.StreamWriter.Write(Char[], Int32, Int32)
at Cobian.Reflector.Engine.Logger.logKernel()
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

Appreciate any help - in the meantime I am not compressing the archive.

Thanks,
cobian
Site Admin

Re: Reflector writing backup to the AppData\local\temp file

Post by cobian »

The compression is always done in the temporary directory first, så just change the temp directory into some other drive with more space.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
Woollybugger

Post by Woollybugger »

Hi,

I have had a bit of an in depth poke about, and presume that what you speak of, is the Safe Mirror Directory? Please confirm.

Thanks,
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

No, just the temporary directory found on the General tab on the settings.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
fabritabo

Post by fabritabo »

Hi Luis, I have the same problem than Woollybugger.
I use the 7zip compression option with Reflector installed as a service, splitting into 10gb files. When I start the task, it breaks the engine: "Motor no encontrado".
If I install Reflector as an application, the symptom is the same but it shows a Windows crash window "la aplicación no responde".

Besides that, it would be nice to add a little backend validation that if the destination is only one, do the compression directly on the destination (I imagine it would work for both local disks and network locations, it would always be faster than the sum of the times zip + copy to network location)
Also, this would eliminate the need to have so much storage in a temporary folder for large backups (+300gb)

Cheers
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

If the destination is on the network the compression could take twice the time...

About the crash... That is interesting. Do you find some extra info in the Event Viewer?
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
adik0nda

Post by adik0nda »

cobian wrote: 06 Mar 2023, 14:42 The compression is always done in the temporary directory first, så just change the temp directory into some other drive with more space.
Previously, I used Cobian Backup and the files were successively saved to the archive on a removable disk. The backup did not fill the temp folder. Recently I wanted to switch to Cobian Reflector and unfortunately it is as you write. Is it possible to set the program to behave like Cobian Backup?

In the screenshot below, you can see that in the case of Cobian Backup, the backup file grows during the process. When I made a backup for the same folders using Cobian Reflector - unfortunately it ended with an error because the entire disk with the temporary folder was full.
Zrzut ekranu 2023-04-30 071406.png
Zrzut ekranu 2023-04-30 071406.png (490.55 KiB) Viewed 1583 times
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

Change the temporary directory to some other drive with enough space.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
Qbix

Post by Qbix »

Are there any plans, chances, scenarios to change this behavior?

I'm using Gravity to copy total of ~2TB of data, to movable disk automatically every week. It it compressed with 7zip to keep thing safely encrypted. Although it is horrible slow, in general works fine. Idea of creating ~2TB temporary file is actually a no-go for updating to Reflector.
Please don't get me wrong: I'm thankful for all your genius work, but please consider taking a second look over this as something went wrong here...
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

Monolithic compression was added as a patch because I was totally against it, so not possibly. Perhaps in version 3 if it sees the light some day.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator