How to check if FTP server is online before task starts?

Questions about Cobian Reflector
Cypcyp

How to check if FTP server is online before task starts?

Post by Cypcyp »

Hi,
I use Reflector on a Win10 PC, Target for Backups is a Synology NAS accessed via FTP, not via Share.
My Task-list has 6 different tasks, being processed one after the other, once per day. When the NAS is online, all tasks end successful.

The NAS is not running 24/7, so when a backup-task is triggered on the PC, it is not certain that the NAS is online.
I have searched a way to check the availability of the FTP-Target before the Tasks queue start, but couldn't find a solution.
If the NAS is offline, i want to set the task queue on hold until the NAS is available.
cobian
Site Admin

Re: How to check if FTP server is online before task starts?

Post by cobian »

You could add some script or program to execute as a Pre-backup event and use the exit code in order to abort the backup.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
Cypcyp

Post by Cypcyp »

Thanks for the hint.
unfortunately I didn't get along with the error-codes, looks like I have to learn more detailed about the error-coding of Windows.

Meanwhile i have solved my problem by sending a Wake-On-Lan to the NAS during the first task in the queue as a Pre-command, followed by 120 sec timeout to be sure the NAS is up when the backup-task starts.
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

:OK
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator