Restoring all backup data from disk

Questions about Cobian Reflector
LUISSM

Restoring all backup data from disk

Post by LUISSM »

Hi, Cobian,

I'm studying the Cobian Reflector to see if it serves my purposes.

I intend to make backups like “File History” type of windows 10, in which the first full backup is created and only increments of changed files are made in the following backups. In the case of a problem with the original disk or partition, where it needs to be replaced and all the data needs to be restored on the new disk, it's easy, just choose a date and have all the data restored. The application restores all existing files to the chosen date, those from the first backup that were never changed and all the others that were changed, in their latest version. The routine will fetch each file in its last version regardless of the date/version of the backup. It also lets you eliminate, for example, all versions of backups prior to a certain date, keeping the last updated version of each document.

From what I understand about Cobian, in the case of increments (and differentials in a way) it creates dated folders at each backup with only the files changed since the last backup. The result is a bunch of folders with different dates and changed files, some in some folders and others in others. If after “x” number of backups if we have the problem mentioned above and it is necessary to replace the original disk and restore all the data on the new disk, we have a jumble of folders, some empty others with some files changed and we don't know how we can restore all updated data.

The solution of always making full backups also doesn't make any sense when we have one or more Tb of data. We would be burning TBW from the backup disk unnecessarily. In this case it would be preferable to create a script with Robocopy and the /mir parameter. This way we keep all files up to date without duplication and without burning TBW.

Am I wrong in the way I understood Cobian to work? If so, please clarify for me, as I found the software structurally very well designed and I would like it to really serve my purposes.

Thanks.
cobian
Site Admin

Re: Restoring all backup data from disk

Post by cobian »

You can always create only one backup and don't create separated backups. This way the restoring process is much easier.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
LUISSM

Post by LUISSM »

Sorry, I did not get it.
I don't think I've studied that part yet.
I've just seen several videos on youtube on how to use the software, I haven't installed it yet, as I've seen the situation I mentioned in all the tutorials.
Interestingly, I couldn't find any tutorials showing how to restore data from a complete disk based on Cobian backups.
So, how can I create only one Backup with incremental updates?
Thank you for your help.
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

Uncheck Create separated backups.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
LUISSM

Post by LUISSM »

Hello Luis Cobian.

Only today I had the availability to take up this subject again.

First of all, my apologies for having rushed to ask questions and doubts without first having dedicated the necessary time to study and test the software.

After installing it, I studied all the menus and fields in order to understand its functionalities.

I did several backup tests, with different configurations and the software is really versatile. Not choosing to create backups separated by time, the backup replaces the previous files with the updated ones, without touching the rest. That's what I intended. So, just choosing incremental backups and problem solved. The backup stays up-to-date without versioning or rewriting existing data.

I also created a task with the “Mirror Task” selected, for when I have done a disk cleanup and want to delete those files in the backup as well. And I created the “Safe Mirror” folder on the backup disk.

One of these days, if I have availability, I will even make a video for Youtube clarifying these aspects, as I didn't find anyone talking about them and I saw several videos in English and Portuguese. I even asked the question in one of these videos and got no response.

Now a question.
After scheduling the backup, I noticed that repeating the same task (incremental backup) a few minutes later, without any change in the data, the log indicates that 294 folders were created, even without having copied any files as would be expected, what are these folders?
2023-04-15 20:29:42 ** O backup para a tarefa "BACKUP2" terminou **
2023-04-15 20:29:42 ** Ficheiros processados: 88584. Ficheiros do backup: 0. Criaram pastas: 294. Tamanho do backup: 0 bytes. **
2023-04-15 20:29:42 ** Número de erros: 0. Tempo decorrido: 0 horas, 1 minutos, 15 segundos. **
After this previous task, I executed the second task that I created and which is a copy of the previous one, only choosing "Mirror Task". I thought it just compared the data already in the backup and just deleted the ones I had erased at source. But since it was the first time the task was executed, it performed a complete copy again.
2023-04-15 21:03:13 Alterando o tipo de backup para completo. Razão: primeiro backup da tarefa.

2023-04-15 22:06:29 ** O backup para a tarefa "BACKUP2 (Mirror)" terminou **
2023-04-15 22:06:29 ** Ficheiros processados: 88585. Ficheiros do backup: 88585. Criaram pastas: 294. Tamanho do backup: 336,81 GB. **
2023-04-15 22:06:29 ** Número de erros: 0. Tempo decorrido: 1 horas, 3 minutos, 16 segundos. **
But strangely, it deleted the files that I had deleted in the source and put them in the folder (Safe mirror).
If it was possible to notice this difference in the data, it could have avoided making a new copy of the same ones.
2023-04-15 21:59:19 Operação espelho. Verificando se existem ficheiros não existentes na fonte...
2023-04-15 21:59:21 Apagar o ficheiro "H:\Backup2\E\LM\As minhas imagens\Scan-161122-0001.pdf". Razão: o ficheiro já não existe na fonte.
2023-04-15 21:59:21 Apagar o ficheiro "H:\Backup2\E\LM\As minhas imagens\Scan-161122-0002.pdf". Razão: o ficheiro já não existe na fonte.
2023-04-15 21:59:21 Apagar o ficheiro "H:\Backup2\E\LM\As minhas imagens\Scan-161122-0003.pdf". Razão: o ficheiro já não existe na fonte.
2023-04-15 21:59:21 Apagar o ficheiro "H:\Backup2\E\LM\As minhas imagens\Scan-161122-0004.pdf". Razão: o ficheiro já não existe na fonte.
2023-04-15 21:59:21 Apagar o ficheiro "H:\Backup2\E\LM\As minhas imagens\Scan-161122-0005.jpg". Razão: o ficheiro já não existe na fonte.
2023-04-15 21:59:21 Apagar o ficheiro "H:\Backup2\E\LM\As minhas imagens\Scan-161122-0005.pdf". Razão: o ficheiro já não existe na fonte.
2023-04-15 21:59:21 Apagar o ficheiro "H:\Backup2\E\LM\As minhas imagens\Scan-171110-0001.pdf". Razão: o ficheiro já não existe na fonte.
2023-04-15 21:59:28 O espelho foi feito.
If instead of creating a copy of the task to activate the mirror field, I had done it in the first task, and run it again, what would happen? Would it copy everything over again as if it were a new task or would it recognize the data from the previous copy and just delete the data deleted at the source?

If we intend to regularly make incremental copies and only occasionally use a backup to clean files deleted at source, what is the best option? Create two tasks like I did, or use just one in which you choose the mirror field when desired?

Another strange situation was having created an empty "Outlook Files" folder in the Safe Mirror folder.
H:\Backup2\Safe Mirror\H\Backup2\D\LM\Documents\Outlook Files
Note that throughout this process I have the machine only running Cobian Reflector. I was careful to restart it before this whole procedure.

I think it was for this reason. But I don't know why this file exists and why it was deleted, as I didn't use Outlook during the whole process.
2023-04-15 21:04:44 Apagar o ficheiro "H:\Backup2\D\LM\Documents\Ficheiros do Outlook\~Outlook.pst.tmp". Razão: o ficheiro já não existe na fonte.
After writing this post, I ran the same Mirror task as before, and the result was the following:
2023-04-15 23:28:48 ** O backup para a tarefa "BACKUP2 (Mirror)" terminou **
2023-04-15 23:28:48 ** Ficheiros processados: 88585. Ficheiros do backup: 2. Criaram pastas: 294. Tamanho do backup: 2,36 GB. **
2023-04-15 23:28:48 ** Número de erros: 0. Tempo decorrido: 0 horas, 1 minutos, 43 segundos. **
Where did these 2.36Gb come from? And why were 294 new folders created? If I did nothing on the PC except writing this post?

When I tested the software, with just a few files, it was simpler. I need to better understand how it works.

Note: I'm Portuguese, you can write in Spanish if you want, as I'm fluent in Spanish.

Thanks
Last edited by LUISSM on 16 Apr 2023, 00:48, edited 2 times in total.
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

After scheduling the backup, I noticed that repeating the same task (incremental backup) a few minutes later, without any change in the data, the log indicates that 294 folders were created, even without having copied any files as would be expected, what are these folders?
The folders are always created and deleted if they are empty (if ignore empty folders is checked). The folders are created anyway.
After this previous task, I executed the second task that I created and which is a copy of the previous one, only choosing "Mirror Task". I thought it just compared the data already in the backup and just deleted the ones I had erased at source. But since it was the first time the task was executed, it performed a complete copy again.
The first backup of a task is always full (unless this option is unchecked in the engine tab of the options)

Mirrors are NOT backups, so 2 tasks can easily conflict with each other.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
LUISSM

Post by LUISSM »

I only make monthly backups, or sporadically after times when I generate more relevant documentation. I often delete several older, temporary or irrelevant files and folders. This is my home desktop.

In Windows File History, I usually clean up older versions and with that I guarantee that I only keep the backup up to date and without files that I have already deleted at the source.

If I don't use this second mirror task, on Cobian Reflector, how can I avoid saving files and folders that I've deleted and don't want to keep in the backup?
Last edited by LUISSM on 26 Apr 2023, 04:02, edited 1 time in total.
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

If I don't use this second mirror task, on Cobian Reflector, how can I avoid saving files and folders that I've deleted and don't want to keep in the backup?
Yes, inn that case a mirror is the option to use.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
LUISSM

Post by LUISSM »

OK, thanks for the help.
So, I'm going to test it that way.