backups dont get deleted

Questions about Cobian Reflector
mbblcnetworks

Re: backups dont get deleted

Post by mbblcnetworks »

Hi,

@thiagomacar seens everthing is ok, no errors.

thiagomacar não tens erros no log, envias os backups para algum servidor externo?

@cobian

I turn off my PC for some hours, after turn on the backup start normally with no errors but all the old backups made successfully wont get deleted when time come.

My test rule is keep 4 full copies, now i have the last 4 copies but also have the older 4 copies, look like cobian reset and dont count the backups made before if i turn off the PC.

Can you verify ?

Thank you.
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

Verify in the History tab if you have all your needed conditions there. Often there is a conflict in the logic there if you want to keep a total number of backups and only a certain number of differentials, for example.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
thiagomacar

Post by thiagomacar »

@cobian @mbblcnetworks

What the friend said like that seems to happen.

In my specific case. I don't send backups to FTP servers. I use an SSD on the same backup PC.
I noticed that when I disabled the automatic shutdown of the PC after backup it went back to deleting the old backups (I always keep 2 copies). With that, I did the following test, I removed the option to turn off the PC after finishing the backup and created another task for a while later (making sure that the backup of task 1 has time to perform the backup) and this task 2 makes a phantom backup and as a post backup it commands the shutdown of the PC. With that problem solved, it seems to me that Cobian is not waiting for Windows 11 to delete the old backup files before shutting it down.

Sorry for using google translator, if something is not clear I can try to write it in another way and translate it again.
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

Backups are deleted on another thread so, yes, this could easily happen. Add some pause as a Postbackup event to give those threads time to make the deletion.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
BDisp

Post by BDisp »

@cobian thanks for your great work. I use "Cobian Reflector" on Windows 11. I use regular expressions to avoid backup up folders and files that aren't needed because they are automatically generated. Everything works well and faster on a SSD. The only problem is when the older backups are being deleted because Windows 11 takes a long time due the indexer job. I really don't need the Windows 11 update the indexer on the my backup SSD. When I want to delete some bigger folders I use a delete force on a terminal and it's much more faster. Do you thing you can add an option to force delete the older backup folders? In this case instead of let the OS deleting them normally, then the app run a command to force delete. Thanks for your attention.
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

Thanks for the input. Yes that could be an option.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
BDisp

Post by BDisp »

Sorry. My fault. I didn't enabled the "Tools->Options->Engine->Prevent sleeping". Before on "Cobian Backup" this option were in the dialog window when starting a backup, I think. Thanks for your attention and for your great work.
Last edited by BDisp on 02 Nov 2023, 13:11, edited 2 times in total.
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

:OK
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
AdamFord

Post by AdamFord »

Hi there first thank you for this fabulous program.

I seem to be having the same problem with it not removing old backups form the FTP system.

Tested this over a local LAN seems to work fine. but its like its taking to long or somthing over the internet.

Any ideas ?

Kind Regards

Adam
Last edited by AdamFord on 06 Nov 2023, 08:32, edited 1 time in total.
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

FTP are much slower especially if you have a lot of small files. How many files does your backup contain?
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator