backups dont get deleted

Questions about Cobian Reflector
BDisp

Re: backups dont get deleted

Post by BDisp »

I also configured my computer to never go to sleep in the Windows definitions. As you can see in the image the deleting stuck on starting deleting the folders, 0 files and 37088 folders. It only delete the files and leave all the folders and sub-folders. It's really a Windows behavior? I clicked on delete and they were deleted quickly.
Attachments
Captura de ecrã 2023-11-30 094658.png
Captura de ecrã 2023-11-30 094658.png (40.76 KiB) Viewed 3974 times
Last edited by BDisp on 30 Nov 2023, 11:24, edited 1 time in total.
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

If tyou change the destination to a local folder (not onn the network), do you get the same behaviour?
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
BDisp

Post by BDisp »

cobian wrote: 30 Nov 2023, 15:19 If tyou change the destination to a local folder (not onn the network), do you get the same behaviour?
The case I exposed is for an external hard driver connect to my computer trough USB port, so non network is used. But I also have other task backup more smaller, where I backup on the same hard driver and this behavior doesn't happens.

PS: Can I receive the replies from this forum to my email, to not missing anything? Thanks.
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

My guess it that the disc is caching something and then the program if failing to delete the folders... Just a guess. :|
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
BDisp

Post by BDisp »

cobian wrote: 30 Nov 2023, 23:25 My guess it that the disc is caching something and then the program if failing to delete the folders... Just a guess. :|
Perhaps yes, maybe the Cobian Reflector itself or others application that is using some file in that hard drive. I've also Windows user account in this hard driver. But in this case the properties will inform file greater than one, unless is some folder that is used. I'll investigate that better. Thanks.
Last edited by BDisp on 02 Dec 2023, 11:28, edited 1 time in total.
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

:OK
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
BDisp

Post by BDisp »

I think I discovered what is avoiding the oldest backup from deleting. Although I normally close all the applications that may prevents the backup went well, the OneDrive still has the "FileSyncHelper.exe" file running. After kill this process the backup folder was deleted. Thanks.
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

:OK That is often the case.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
BDisp

Post by BDisp »

I think that in Windows 11 just configuring "Put my device to sleep: never" is not enough, as it is also necessary to configure "Turn off my screen: never". This way the old backup is quickly deleted in about half an hour. This might help someone else. The screen never turns off, staying in the lock window but at least it works. After the backup we can put it into energy saving mode but we have to remember to turn it off before performing a new backup.
@cobian is it possible for the application to make these two settings automatically before the backup starts and restore them after the end?
I don't think so because it doesn't wait for all the background tasks to finish, resetting them immediately after the tasks are finished.
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

:OK
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator