Save List Error

Questions about Cobian Reflector
pvp

Save List Error

Post by pvp »

Hello,
I've had a problem for a while (I think it started sometime during the beta phase of Reflector v2) in that I get an error message when I attempt save my list of backup tasks to my preferred location.
If I save the list to the default location (C:\Program Files\Cobian Reflector\Lists), all is well. When I try to save to my preferred location, which is on the D:\ drive, I get the following error:

ERR 2023-07-11 23:08:32 An error occurred while saving the list "D:\OneDrive\Documents\Reflector\MainList.lst":(5) Access is denied: [D:\OneDrive\Documents\Reflector\MainList.lst]

The file 'MainList.lst' is created and to the best of my knowledge it works. That is, despite the error message, the process appears to complete satisfactorily.

Just wanted to bring this to your attention.

Kind regards
Paul vP
cobian
Site Admin

Re: Save List Error

Post by cobian »

"Access denied" is an error reported by the OS. :|
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
pvp

Post by pvp »

OK, so if I understand things correctly, this error is being reported by the OS (Windows 10 in my case) through Reflector, and is not an error in Reflector itself.
Out of curiosity I reinstalled Reflector as a service (normally I've been installing 'As an application (Autostart for all users)' with the following results:
  • Saving the list to the default location works fine
  • Saving the list to the custom location results in this error message:
    ERR 2023-07-12 07:42:30 An error occurred while saving the list "D:\OneDrive\Documents\Reflector\MainList.lst":(1307) This security ID may not be assigned as the owner of this object: [D:\OneDrive\Documents\Reflector\MainList.lst]
So a different error, but still an error. This one is also from the OS?
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

Yes, make sure to save the list in a folder with read/write permissions for the user running your service.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
pvp

Post by pvp »

I'm the only user on this PC and therefore also the admin. I don't understand why I wouldn't have all the required permissions by default, but permissions is not something I have much knowledge of.
However I've managed to update the security settings on the folder of my preferred save location by giving 'Full control' to 'Users' group/name (of which I am the only one) and this seems to have resolved the problem. I already had full control as the administrator but it would appear that wasn't enough. As I say, I don't really understand the whole permissions thing ;) .

Thanks
Paul vP
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

An administrator doesn't have permissions to everything. Windows is not like Linux or Unix. But an administrator CAN change the permissions to give acces to the files to itself.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
Mikasa

Post by Mikasa »

You need to grant Cobian Reflector write access to the D:\OneDrive\Documents\Reflector folder. contexto
kalyl

Post by kalyl »

Check if OneDrive has restricted access to the Documents folder. Try granting Cobian Reflector full access to the folder or saving the list outside of OneDrive. suika game
jobelgalvao

Post by jobelgalvao »

Pergunta do Brazil.

Uso o Win 11 e o Cobian Bacukp 11 Gravity 11.2.0.582, quando o instalo e uso, ele dá o erro que não pôde contatar o requisitador de Cópia Sombra de Volume. Por Favor verfique se o serviço está instalado e executando. Se instalo o Refletor esse erro não acontece!

Voltando ao Gravity, quando mando fazer backup de pasta do OneDrive noutro HD, ele verifica o arquivo, caso não esteja disponível, baixa e fica disponível temporariamente na hd e na nuvem e executa a tarefa (copia), arquivo a arquivo, o que é ótimo, pois uso o sensor de HD, e, com isso, após 1 dia, ele volta ficar apenas disponível na nuvem, e ao executar a cópia diferencial, não fica abaixando novamente o que não foi modificado.

Excelente.

Porém no Cobian Refletor ele busca as pastas, não baixa os arquivos, dá log de erro arquivo por arquivo que era para ser copiado.

Como resolver?
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

En reflector no puedes usar Volume Shadow Copy si estas trabajando con OneDrive.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator