Windows system disk backup and restore

Questions about Cobian Reflector
GTForce

Windows system disk backup and restore

Post by GTForce »

Hi,

First of all, thanks much for developing Reflector and making it available for free.

Second, this forum's search needs to be improved, as it does not allow searching for words like "windows" "system" etc., preventing reach to the previous posts that may be relevant. For example, I wanted search for windows system folder restore, and both windows and system keywords were ignored.

And that brings me to my question:

Can Reflector be used for backing up an entire system disk (e.g., C:\) and restoring it onto a new computer? I have a defective laptop and I received a new one. Instead of reinstalling everything and customising things once again, I rather just copy the old disk to the new one on the new laptop. Can Reflector be used for this purpose? Or can it only be used for backing up and restoring regular files (e.g., documents, etc.).

Thanks.
Bobcat23

Re: Windows system disk backup and restore

Post by Bobcat23 »

From what I can see, I don't think reflector is the right tool. You could utilize something like the built in Windows Backup program. In Windows 10, go to Backup and Restore on the control panel, select the option to create a system image.

Reflector looks like a great tool for file level backup though. So if you for example had a server that you just wanted to put files from it on a NAS or external drive, then reflector could be a great use case there.
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

Reflector is more of a File-based backup tool.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
Sholes5

Post by Sholes5 »

For your situation, where you want to transfer the contents of your old laptop's disk to a new one, it would be more appropriate to use specialized disk cloning or imaging software. These tools create an exact copy of your disk, including the operating system and all installed programs.