archive attribute not cleared

Questions about Cobian Reflector
lindeamon

archive attribute not cleared

Post by lindeamon »

Hello,

i have found out that the archive attribute is not cleared after a successful back and the task is configured to clear it.
i am running reflector under a user with write permissions to the source folder and i have tried it with modify permission and the result is the same.

Regards,
Lindeaon
welchkathryne

Re: archive attribute not cleared

Post by welchkathryne »

The archive attribute not cleared error is a problem that occurs when the backup software fails to reset the archive bit of the files after a successful backup. The archive bit is a Windows file attribute that indicates that the file has changed since the last backup operation. The backup software should clear the archive bit after a successful backup, so that the next incremental or differential backup will only include the files that have changed since then.

Some possible causes and solutions for this error are:

• The backup software does not have enough time to clear the archive bit before the server replies. You can check the host properties for the client and increase the 'Wait time before clearing archive bit' value. The default value is 300 seconds (5 minutes).

• The backup software does not support clearing the archive bit for certain types of files or folders, such as DFSR read-only folders. You can change the backup method to use timestamps instead of archive bits.

• The backup software has a bug or compatibility issue that prevents it from clearing the archive bit properly. You can check for updates or patches for the backup software and install them if available.
Last edited by welchkathryne on 19 Jul 2023, 06:44, edited 1 time in total.
The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.geometry dash
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

That or your task is DIFFERENTIAL. In that case the archive attributes won't be reset for obvious reasons.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
lindeamon

Post by lindeamon »

thank you all,
yes, my task is differential so what you are saying is that i need change it to incremental and even for mirror task ?
i didn't find any configuration relating to time to wait for archive bit to clear.
so the big question is... what is the right configuration for mirror task to work correctly ?

Regards,
Lindeamon
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

There is no right configuration. It all depends on what you are trying to achieve. But differential backups don't clean the archive attribute. Incremental do.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
lindeamon

Post by lindeamon »

thank you for your response and great software, cobian.
i have configured the task to be incremental and i got the result i wanted. everything was "mirrored" and the archive bit was cleared so the software didn't backed up what was already backed up.

1. it would be great if the help or help popups would mention the archive bit, it would have saved me a lot of time.
2. it would be great if the 1st backup would be a little bit smarter in terms of sensing that the file being backed up is already backed up.

Regards,
Lindeamon
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

The first backup will always be done FULLY (except if you uncheck this option).
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator