Filter Include/Exclude Files and Directories

Questions about Cobian Reflector
papijo

Filter Include/Exclude Files and Directories

Post by papijo »

Hi!
Recently installed Cobian Reflector and I'm conducting some backup tests to find my way among the numerous options provided... ;)

Here is a list of the contents of my "cobian tests" directory that I want to backup:
Folders 01 to 03 contain text files and folder04 is empty.
In my Task's Advanced settings I have set up: Ignore empty directories
Here are my lists of Include/Exclude files:

And here is the result of my backup on my backup drive:

What I don't understand is that directories that are NOT placed in the Include list are still saved, but empty. And if I want an un-wanted directory to be not saved in the backup I have to place it in the Exclude list.
My intuitive understanding would be that if a directory is NOT in the Include list, then that directory itself (and all its contained files/sub-directories) should not appear in the backup. What is the point of the "Ignore empty directories" option then? Even folder04 which is empty is saved in the backup!
cobian
Site Admin

Re: Filter Include/Exclude Files and Directories

Post by cobian »

Use Advanced/Ignore empty directories.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
papijo

Post by papijo »

But I did mention I have done that: In my Task's Advanced settings I have set up: Ignore empty directories!
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

Ignore empty directories means "Delete the empty directories in the resulting backup". The directories will be created but should be deleted at the end. If that's not the case then there are several reasons. This should be a FAQ. There are literary hundred of threads about this.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator