Failed back up twice

Questions about Cobian Reflector
MikeHit

Failed back up twice

Post by MikeHit »

Hi I have been using Cobian Gravity very successfully for a few years and with a new computer decided to try Reflector. I am running Windows 11.
I am backing up a drive of photos from one external drive to another - a catalogue of 170,000 photos totalling 1.83 TB. The task has now failed on both occasions that I have tried, though the second one got further than the first. There are no entries on the history log which suggests the program was interrupted in some way (I may be wrong). The possibilities as I see it are (a) there is some limit on back up volume or (b) the computer auto restarted after an update on both occasions (I have already set sleep on the computer to 'never'). So before I waste another 24h, has anyone got any suggestions? I have already turned off updates on Windows Settings in anticipation...
Thank you in advance for any help.

PS I know enough to be dangerous when it comes to computers but am just above non-tecchie on the workings and terminology. :-D
cobian
Site Admin

Re: Failed back up twice

Post by cobian »

If the log file doesn't show anything out of the common then tthere arev 2 options:

1- The program has crashed, in which case you will find some infor in the Event Viewer

or

2- Windows has restarted, in which case nothing will be logged
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
MikeHit

Post by MikeHit »

Thank you for your reply. Well the third time it gave me a log file with about 700 file entries. Only 20% of the files were copied over (the previous two times were about 50% and 60% so it is not as if there is a corrupt file creating a sticking point somewhere). There were four different error messages (below). The fact they all seem to centre round not finding paths, it is odd as all the directories have been created but no photos copied into them. Both external hard drives are mains powered, so if this message is literally losing connection to the drives it may be a power thing.

A device which does not exist was specified
The device is not ready: [GLOBALROOT]
The system cannot find the path specified
The device is not ready: [GLOBALROOT]

2023-11-19 15:38:22 The archive attribute for "F:\Mike's Pictures" has been removed.
2023-11-19 15:38:22 The directory "F:\Mike's Pictures" has been backed up.

2023-11-19 15:38:22 ** Backup for the task "PhotoBackup Full" has ended **
2023-11-19 15:38:22 ** Processed files: 36071. Backed up files: 32227. Created folders: 48. Backup size: 366.76 GB. **
2023-11-19 15:38:22 ** Number of errors: 3873. Time elapsed: 5 hours, 2 minutes, 17 seconds. **

2023-11-19 15:38:22 Deleting the Volume Shadow Copy image...
2023-11-19 15:38:22 The Volume Shadow Copy image has been successfully deleted.

2023-11-19 15:38:22 The backup has ended. There are errors. Consult the log file.

2023-11-20 10:38:00 Checking for updates...
2023-11-20 10:38:00 Your program is up to date.
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

The system cannot find the path specified...

Which files are giving you such errors? This is often a permissions problem.
The device is not ready: [GLOBALROOT] could mean that the copy was deleted unexpectly by Windows. Do you have enough space in the drive in order for Windows to create a full Volume Shadow Copy volume?
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
MikeHit

Post by MikeHit »

Sorry for not replying sooner. I cna confirm that the destination had enough space.
But it seems like I have solved it.
I decided to see if it was a Cobian issue or a system issue so copied the files manually folder by folder using Windows explorer. After just a few files it came up with the same error description as when using Cobian, but it also gave me an error code to work with: 0x800701b1. This seems to be quite a common problem when copying between external HDDs. One reason seems to be USB protocols with windows updates, especially when the drives are a few years old (as mine are). There are several fixes possible, including 'taking ownership' of the USB, updating drivers etc. One interesting comment was the speed of the connection though they talked about using usb3.0 drive attached to a USB 2.0 port (never been a problem before).

My previous attempts were two USB 3.0 hard drives connected to the USB 3.0 ports.
So I tried the simplest by using USB-C ports: a USB 3.0/USB-C cable for the source drive (which is a HDD) to connect to a USB-C port, and tried copying to a USB-C SSD. And it works!

So whether it was a problem with my destination drive, or one of the cables I don't know and I may take time to investigate. But at least my pictures are safe and being backed up.
Sorry for the long explanation but I thought it may help if someone else experiences the same thing. Thank you for your time and help with this.
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

:OK Great!
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
agusgar

Post by agusgar »

Hello,
I have a Shared Folder on the same local network, and since I scheduled my first backup task, I've been getting the error: (21) The device is not ready: [GLOBALROOT] whenever I run the task.
In the Event Viewer, I'm getting errors like these:
Cobian Reflector VSC Requester: An error occurred while deleting the snapshot 172a0fc1-dbfe-4a22-9fd3-3c526179f056: Deletion of snapshot failed. See inner exception for details. .

I have more than enough free space in both my laptop's drive and on the Shared Folder, I'd say this is not the issue.
I configured two Clients to avoid auto-shutdown, so I'm assuming this is not the issue either.
I recently updated to latest version 2.6, but I keep getting the same messages.
My installation was done as a Service and I'm the Administrator for the laptop.

I also tried a couple of times by doing a Copy & Paste and files transfer correctly.

I'm not sure what else can I do to make it work correctly
Thanks
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

VSC errors are tricky bevcause it's the OS reporting the problem. You should find an inner exception in the EventViewer which will give you more info
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
agusgar

Post by agusgar »

Hi Luis, thanks for your reply.

In the event viewer, I see many repetitions of the Information events:
Creating Volume Shadow Copies for the drive(s): C:\
Initializing backup.
Snapshot created: 0ec87b06-368c-47f9-b2fc-39f26954ecf6.
Snapshot created for C:\.
The backup is now prepared.
All files are now copied for 0ec87b06-368c-47f9-b2fc-39f26954ecf6.
Backup complete.
Then, immediately it comes the Error event:
An error occurred while deleting the snapshot 0ec87b06-368c-47f9-b2fc-39f26954ecf6: Deletion of snapshot failed. See inner exception for details.

That 8-steps/events cycle repeats for many times
Does this helps or should I look for something else?
Thanks
agusgar

Post by agusgar »

Hello,
Any comment on this?
Any guidance on what else to do to make it work?
Thanks