Suggestion for separated backups timestamps.

Questions about Cobian Reflector
BDisp

Suggestion for separated backups timestamps.

Post by BDisp »

Currently when "Create new separated backups", "Use absolute paths" and "Always create top parent folder" are enabled, on a task that full backup a disk drive it create the correct timestamps (Image 1)

If the task only have some folders and files to backup currently it create the timestamps on the folders and files (Image 2)

My suggestion is to only create the timestamps for the root folder as "Image 3" and not in the subfolders.

Another trap is if the user disable "Use absolute paths" and has "Full copies to keep" more than one, if the user choose folders with the same name on different locations, the latest will overwrite the others, make the user losing data in case he needs to restore.
Attachments
Image 1
Image 1
Captura de ecrã 2023-11-23 133017.png (2.42 KiB) Viewed 3055 times
Image 2
Image 2
Captura de ecrã 2023-11-23 131852.png (25.13 KiB) Viewed 3055 times
Image 3
Image 3
Captura de ecrã 2023-11-23 141956.png (15.92 KiB) Viewed 3055 times
cobian
Site Admin

Re: Suggestion for separated backups timestamps.

Post by cobian »

:OK
Another trap is if the user disable "Use absolute paths" and has "Full copies to keep" more than one, if the user choose folders with the same name on different locations, the latest will overwrite the others, make the user losing data in case he needs to restore.
Yes, that is only logical.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
BDisp

Post by BDisp »

cobian wrote: 26 Nov 2023, 01:20 :OK
Yes, that is only logical.
Maybe is better not allowing this situation or at least advice the user for the risk, I think.
Will you considere my suggestion?
By the way how can I get notified by email when a reply posted on a topic where I also replied? Thanks.
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

If I ever decide to write versionn 3 I will take this in connsideration yes.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator