Is it safe to delete the content of the Safe Mirror directory?

Questions about Cobian Reflector
grodyann

Post by grodyann »

Wont it cause any issues with the next backups? :?:

As far as i understand this folder contains only temporary data - therefore it should be safe to delete the contents after I have successfully performed the backups. I am looking for a confirmation that I am not wrong, and I can delete this folder's contents every now and then. :OK
cobian
Site Admin

Re: Is it safe to delete the content of the Safe Mirror directory?

Post by cobian »

This is only used if you are using Mirrors (which shouldn't NEVER be considered a backup). If you are not using mirrors or if you are sure that everyting is OK in the destination, then it's safe to clean.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
Marc66FR

Post by Marc66FR »

cobian wrote: 29 Dec 2023, 14:05 This is only used if you are using Mirrors (which shouldn't NEVER be considered a backup).
Why do you say mirrors should never be considered as backups? In case someone gets a ransomware that deletes all his files and has automated backup enabled?

I just installed and ran Reflector today and plan to only run manual backups once a month or so. I noticed it does not delete files on the target after I delete it from source and it seems Mirror is the only way. Can you confirm? If not, what option do I have to delete files on the target if it is deleted on the source?

Back to the original post, my backup consists of my full user folder, which includes the Safe Mirror directory. Won't this cause issues with my backup? Would it better if I put the mirror folder somewhere else?

Thank you and thanks for this very nice software
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

What if you delete a file by mistake? Or what if a virus deletes some files in the source? Or if you get some disk problem which makes some of your source files unavailable? What happens with the destination files then? Bingo. They are deleted too.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
Marc66FR

Post by Marc66FR »

cobian wrote: 04 Jan 2024, 00:11 What if you delete a file by mistake? Or what if a virus delete some files in the source? Or if you get some disk problem which makes some of your source files unavailable? What happens with the destination files then? Bingo. They are deleted too.
I fully agree with you and this is why I normally have backups on multiple external disks with at least one of them offsite. But I also like to have a regular quick sync. So I understood right that Mirror is the way to go for this quick regular sync.

Thanks for your reply
ges

Post by ges »

It appears Marc66FR maybe using the software to clone another computer.

So, as long as an actual [u]backup[/u] is performed on the primary (source), before the cloning to the secondary ("cloned"), wouldn't it then be safe to utilize mirrors, and subsequently empty the %TEMP%\Safe Mirror folder?

I am using Backup 11 Gravity and also thank you for this very solid application, Senor Cobian.