Small UI suggestion

Questions about Cobian Reflector
TGeRi

Small UI suggestion

Post by TGeRi »

Hi!

First of all: we've been using Cobian for 10+ yrs and are now starting to use Reflector. I think it is a masterpiece of a software, so THANK YOU FOR IT!

I only have a small UI improvement suggestion: under a job's settings at FILES in the lower Destination field when I click edit I have to choose a folder with the "open folder" dialogbox.
A lot of times the going-to-be backup device is not yet available at the time of COB configuration.

So for example I want to configure a job to backup to a NAS.

I know I want the path to be \\192.168.100.100\backup\myfolder_cobian for example but at that time the nas is offline still or maybe don't have credentials, etc. I think there should be a way (as there was in Cob11!) to just enter the path I want and it gets configured. By the time I will run the job I will make sure that this path is available for Cobian to create the backup to.

Best regards and PLEASE KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK! It means a lot to us.

Gergely TOTH
(from Hungary)

PS: I read 5+ cobian logs e-mailed to me for 10+ years. I see the word "Cobian" in writing more often then my wife's name. :D
cobian
Site Admin

Re: Small UI suggestion

Post by cobian »

Select Manual as a destination instead for Folder. Then you can just enter the destination manually.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
ira

Post by ira »

Oddly, if you enter a destination manually and it points to a valid directory, when you try to edit it, you get the explorer based directory picker and not the text editor, so not actually that useful unless you're using something like %DATE or having Cobian create a folder.
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

Yes , that's the behaviour. :cry:
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
ira

Post by ira »

And yet sometimes it would be nice to be able to clone a job and then just edit the path instead of having to navigate all over the place to get to the new, very similar path. Maybe a new option, "Edit as test"?
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

I understand.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
TGeRi

Post by TGeRi »

Exactly! Manual ADD is good and nice. Manual edit would be nice also.
Maybe the EDIT button could behave like ADD so it drops down and you can select:
- edit
- manual
?

Edit would pop up the win open windows, manual would just popup the text-windows whith the current path where you can edit it as you like?
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

Fixed for the next version.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator