Error 21 Device not ready

Questions about Cobian Reflector
iresten

Error 21 Device not ready

Post by iresten »

Hi, i have some jobs that are running against a SSHFS (WinFSP). These are mounted as networkdevices.
But for one of the job with mirror checking i get error message:
ERR {timestamp} An error occurred while checking for mirror changes: (21) Enheten är inte klar: [[sshfs.r\{connection}\ (translated, Device not ready). One time for each file i know needs to be removed from the destination

I cant figure out why, the SSHFS have complete rwx on the drive, and manually there is no problems with file handling.

The settings are the following:

Include subdirectories
Incremental backup
Mirror task
Clear archive attribute
Volume Shadow Copies: Tried both on and off
cobian
Site Admin

Re: Error 21 Device not ready

Post by cobian »

No idea, never tested against WinFSP.

PS - Kommer att göra lite tester inom kort. Återkommer.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
iresten

Post by iresten »

https://github.com/winfsp/winfsp and https://github.com/winfsp/sshfs-win
In those two repos you can find information about the system.

I have a prod and a test enviroment so will gladly assist (and yes, the problem is in both prod and test)
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

:OK
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

I have installed SSHFS and tested with no problems, but you never know with foreign file systems. I have seen different results even with direct accessing NAS drives so... :|
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
iresten

Post by iresten »

I have now tested alot of thing but couldn't resolve my initial problem, but i found i workaround.

I installed the graphical interface for SSHFS-WIN Manager (standalone software) and when mounting from the GUI it mounts a drive and not a file share. (in cobian the search path became (\\sshfs.r\user@server\)) but with SSHFS-WIN Manager it mounts a drive (in cobian as "X:\"), nothing else were changed so some where between writepermissions in cobian between a networkshare and a drive is a fault (probably in SSHFS).

But if anyone else stumbles upon this problem my recommendation is to try SSHFS-Win manager and see if it resolves your issue.
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

Thank you for sharing!
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
felixandrea

Post by felixandrea »

Hello iresten,

I've looked into your problem in detail and have a few suggestions that might help:

The error "Device not ready" (Error 21 Device not ready) usually occurs when there is a problem with the connection or with the storage device. In your case, since you are using SSHFS (WinFSP) as your network connection, it is possible that this connection is unstable or has a high response time.

Please check your network connection, make sure it is stable and has enough bandwidth to transfer data. You can also try connecting to the storage device directly instead of via SSHFS to eliminate connectivity issues.rice purity test

If your network connection is stable, try the following:

Check your access permissions to the SSHFS directory, make sure you have sufficient permissions to read/write.
Try increasing the cache size or offloading other tasks to see if this helps resolve the issue.
Check if the files are in use or locked, which can cause the "Device not ready" error.