Installation on new PC + upgrade from backup to reflector with all settings and remember backuped files?

Questions about Cobian Reflector
rick

Installation on new PC + upgrade from backup to reflector with all settings and remember backuped files?

Post by rick »

Hi!

I build a new Windows 10 PC and now want to relocate from my old Windows 10 PC where I used Cobian backup to the new and "upgrade" to Cobian Reflector.

Is it possible to:
  • Import the backup list from CB to CR
  • Import all settings from CB to CR
  • Let CR remember what files are already backuped by CB in previous tasks to prevent that CR will backup all files in the first backup run when I make a 1:1 copy of all files from the old PC to the new PC
I know that the first 2 points are often asked in the past, but the most posts talked about how to import the config-files within the same version of the program (CB to CB or CR to CR). The question behind is: Are the config / ini-files of CB compatible to CR and is only coping the configs from CB to CR the right way?

ThanX
Rick
cobian
Site Admin

Re: Installation on new PC + upgrade from backup to reflector with all settings and remember backuped files?

Post by cobian »

-yes
-Yes
-Kind of.

The settings can be imported but noy used directly.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
rick

Re: Installation on new PC + upgrade from backup to reflector with all settings and remember backuped files?

Post by rick »

Hi Luis!

I installed CB and CR both in an VM.
Importing the Task List from CB to CR with the option "Import legacy list" under the menue "List" was no problem.

But transfering the settings from CB failed. I copied the folders "DB", "Logs" and "Settings" from CB to CR. No settings, no history.
I thought the task-history is saved in the folder "DB" (*.cbu files) in the install-directory? Is this correct?
What is the correct procedure for transfering the settings correctly?

I copied the user data from the old PC to the new PC with robocopy ensuring that the archiv-flag (and timestamps) are copied 1:1 (/S /DCOPY:DAT).
So all the A-flag were not set during the copy process like a "normal" copy task with the windows explorer does.
I checked the attributes of the copied files. All ok - mostly not set.
I also uncheck the option "first backup full" under Settings/Engine.
Then I tried to simulate a backup with the option "Simulate a full backup" (menue action), but nothing happens. What is this option for?
Starting one task for testing ends up in a full backup, although all the archiv flags of the files (and folders) were not set. Why?
Is there an additional option I left unnoticed?
What is the right procedure to ensure that CR continue making incremential backups according to CB?

ThanX
Rick
Last edited by rick on 25 Mar 2024, 09:55, edited 2 times in total.
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

No, that's what I meant with "not used directly". Only the import function can be used but I really don't remember if the history and settings are imported as well. Now that I think a litle more about this I'm afraid they are not. :(
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator