swqapping backup destination drives

Questions about Cobian Reflector
Ignu

swqapping backup destination drives

Post by Ignu »

On a daily basis, I backup 2 PCs to a a USB drive (USB1) attached to a 3rd PC. Once a week, I backup USB1 to a 2nd USB drive (alternately USB2-A or USB2-B) also attached to my 3rd PC. Every few months or so, I swap the 2 USB2-x drives - the active one with the remotely stored one - so as to update the remotely stored drive.

I am using the same Task to backup my USB1 drive to one or the other USB2-x drive and find that even though the drive contents have changed very minimally, the differential backup takes even a couple of days. So, I conclude I should have 2 separate tasks (identical file source and destinations, etc,) each "tied" to the specific destination USB drive -- i.e., "Task 1 = Backup USB1 to USB2-A" and "Task 2 = Backup USB1 to USB2-B". Am I correct?

So, what happens if I decide to move any of my backup destination USB drives from my 3rd PC USB ports to my router's USB ports, making sure to map them with same drive letters I had when they were attached to the 3rd PC? Can I apply my Tasks as I did when the drives were on the 3rd PC without "confusing" (can't think of a more appropriate term) Cobian into needing to re-index (or whatever it is that happens to take so long)?
cobian
Site Admin

Re: swqapping backup destination drives

Post by cobian »

If the final destination address is the same there is no problem.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
Ushavilash

Re: swqapping backup destination drives

Post by Ushavilash »

Yes, creating separate task for each destination USB drive is a good approach. If you move the backup destination USB drive to your router USB port and check the drive letter remain the same, you should be able to apply the task without issues.