Can't Seem to Exclude System Volume Information

Questions about Cobian Reflector
JPriestly

Re: Can't Seem to Exclude System Volume Information

Post by JPriestly »

Hello Cobian.

I fully understand that there is something that I'm missing here, and it's probably very obvious. Maybe I should approach it in a different way, with a question. And I'll start at the beginning.

How can I get Cobian Reflector to stop giving this error message?

ERR 2024-04-20 04:05:30 An error occurred while checking for mirror changes: (5) Access is denied: [E:\System Volume Information]

I have Cobain Reflector set up this way:

source-destination.jpg
source-destination.jpg (45.12 KiB) Viewed 117 times
filter.jpg
filter.jpg (52.11 KiB) Viewed 117 times
Many thanks for the replies thus far. Hopefully I'll be able to understand what's going on with this approach. :OK
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

This is OK and shouldn't be giving you any error EXCEPT if you are mirroring tasks. That's because the System Volume Information in E: is being checked (nothing you can do to prevent it). The only solution I can think off right now is changing the destination E:\ to E:\D, for example.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
Boonew

Post by Boonew »

Would it make any difference if you rearrange the exclusion list and start with the E: then D:
JPriestly

Post by JPriestly »

cobian wrote: 02 May 2024, 12:54 This is OK and shouldn't be giving you any error EXCEPT if you are mirroring tasks. That's because the System Volume Information in E: is being checked (nothing you can do to prevent it). The only solution I can think off right now is changing the destination E:\ to E:\D, for example.
Hi Cobian. I am running a mirror task. And I cannot run the task in reverse, the D drive is the one that the files get written to that need to be backed up. In case of a drive failure, the E drive letter can be changed to D and everything is back to working as normal. Is there no way to get the program to actually ignore that directory?
Boonew wrote: 06 May 2024, 10:52 Would it make any difference if you rearrange the exclusion list and start with the E: then D:
Thanks for the suggestion, Boonew, I just tried it. Same error.
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

The program is ignoring it BUT the mirror function is finding the one directory that belogs to E: .

1) Change the destination to some other directory that is not root.

ot

2) Do not use the mirror function

That are the only 2 ways
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
ira

Post by ira »

Not that I don't love Cobian, but wouldn't:

robocopy d:\ e:\ /XD "System Volume Information" /MIR

do what you want?