Still blurry on high DPI monitors

Questions about Cobian Reflector
nickmccobian

Still blurry on high DPI monitors

Post by nickmccobian »

Hi there,

First of all, its worth saying that I'm highly impressed with your program and I'm a big fan - well done for your wonderful work.

The problem I'm having is certainly non urgent, however seen that you mentioned the work on high DPI monitors and WPF, I thought I'd let you know about this problem. I have a laptop that is a high DPI screen requiring 125% window scaling. It's connected to a dock that outputs to two other screens that are 100% window scaled (or not really scaled at all). When the Reflector user interface launches on one of the 100% scaled monitors, it looks just fine on them. An example (I include the start menu to show how Windows is displaying elements on that screen)..
100% Window scaled - looks normal
100% Window scaled - looks normal
1.png (256.53 KiB) Viewed 156 times
When I move the application to the high DPI screen of the laptop, suddenly it doesn't rescale and looks blurry.
125% scaled - not good
125% scaled - not good
2.png (382.39 KiB) Viewed 156 times
Obviously this is not a huge deal, the application still functions perfectly but its a minor annoyance to what is a great application. Note that to see the images well, you may have to right click on them and show in separate tab on your browser (as I noticed that they are scaled down to fit the forum width).
cobian
Site Admin

Re: Still blurry on high DPI monitors

Post by cobian »

Try playing with the options in Options-Advanced-Advanced graphics. The text rendering mode may give better results as Clear Type sometimes , and layout rounding as well (re-start the interface after every change)
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
Boonew

Post by Boonew »

I have this same issue on my Laptops screen at 125% but not any of the other two screens at 100%.

All I can say is this is not only a Cobian issue, this is a general MS Display issue. Some Apps display correctly and some don't, if you change your laptop to 100% you will see it renders perfectly.

I recall having this issue in Win7, and it had to do something with a system font type that needed to be modded.. but as mentioned above, try check advanced display settings. If I find a solution I'll post it here.
Boonew

Post by Boonew »

ok the font issue wasn't the same (bigger not blurry), but it makes for a possible solution.

https://winthropdc.wordpress.com/2009/1 ... namics-gp/
nickmccobian

Post by nickmccobian »

I have tried this already, and this afternoon I changed each option (GDI, layout rounding, bitmap etc) while restarting the UI each time (no big deal for me as I have Cobian installed as a service) and no improvement. Again looks fine on the external screens that are at 100% scaling (or not scaled) but looks poor on the high DPI laptop screen which is scaled to 125%.

The text changes a bit with the different text options (Aliased, ClearType, Grayscale) but the scaling problem doesn't go away UNLESS I disconnect the other screens and then the app has no choice but to scale at 125% because obviously it's told to scale at 125% - the presence of the other screens which are at 100% seem to enforce 100% scaling everywhere for your app, it doesn't seem to be able to change depending on the screen its on. Apps like Firefox, Outlook, Edge handle this without an issue. They have to obviously redraw when they're moved from screen to screen but it seems to work particularly well.

Again it's not something urgent but it would be nice to see your app in all its high DPI beauty !
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

I *think* MS introdiced a cure for this when targeting .net 4.62 or better (I use 4.6). For version 3 (if it ever comes out) I will be targetting .net 6.0 so I *think* there is a probability for this getting better.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator