Error during Mirror operation from the network

Questions about Cobian Reflector
mdj2000

Error during Mirror operation from the network

Post by mdj2000 »

I thank the authors of these complete products in different functions.

I'm here to describe a problem that occurs during the mirror function. To be precise, use these settings: as source a source on the LAN network and as destination an external physical device. During the Mirror operation on the theory everything works normally. The problem occurs if the network connection drops during the mirror phase. Result: everything deleted but absolutely everything from start to finish on the target device. So even if the mirror copy is partial, if the network connection drops, the destination is reset.

Instead, an interruption must be foreseen. What is copied remains, the rest is copied with the next mirror process.

I await clarification on this matter and a possible resolution of the problem.
cobian
Site Admin

Re: Error during Mirror operation from the network

Post by cobian »

Mirrors are not a backup and should never ever be used as a backup function.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
mdj2000

Post by mdj2000 »

in all sincerity it is not an answer. if you have integrated the function you must make a node that works correctly. the concept is: since you have this mirror function then I use it. I know very well that it is not a backup but a mirror copy. surrendering a possible answer but I'm already starting to understand that there will be no solution if we don't open ourselves to a discussion
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

I agree. I never wanted to have this function. I will be removing the mirror for the next version.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
Sygla

Post by Sygla »

Please do not remove it, since although it is not a backup, it is very useful in certain situations. For example, I have 2 computers that I backup, one is the classic backup (it is backed up from Monday to Friday with differential retention of 14 backups). , this one runs from Monday to Thursday and a full one that runs only on Fridays with retention of 6 backups), but on the other it is one that I make a mirror copy of that one on Saturdays and on Mondays they put a USB disk, press the qnap button and it is mirrored to the external disk and there are 4 external disks) then in that case it is a backup because it would be exactly the same as the case of the one on site, but as the disks are removed it works as one with retention, and Backups are made like this to avoid generating so much traffic on the network and we all know that mass copying of files, even in reading, causes the server to become heavier and by doing it on the weekend no one complains.

Sorry if my English is bad, but I'm writing in Spanish, and the translation is done by Google, since my English is very poor (I more or less understand by reading and if not, Google helps me, but writing in English is impossible for me).
Last edited by Sygla on 21 Jun 2024, 16:53, edited 1 time in total.
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

That's exactly the problem. People are using it without undestanding the consequences. I'm not sure about what to do at this moment. We'll see.
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator
Sygla

Post by Sygla »

Seriously, because someone does not know the consequences, it is not logical to take out a tool that, when used well, is very useful. If I remember correctly, it is clear that it is not a backup, it is simply doing a mirror task, it is like someone who calls raid 0 raid and raids are supposed to be ways of using disks to provide security and zero provides more space and supposedly greater speed, but clearly it does not provide greater security which is the principle of raids. Please don't take out that tool, it is very useful, you just have to know why to use it and what things can and can't be done, that's all.
cobian
Site Admin

Post by cobian »

:OK
--
Luis Cobian
Cobian Backup's creator